How’s it going friends?
Here at Broke Foodies, we try to make at least one recipe per week that is budget friendly, healthy and that can be made in under 30 minutes. Today’s Keto Chicken Meatballs Recipe check all of those boxes.
I’m very happy about that 😀
Keto Chicken Meatballs
In order to make these chicken meatballs you’re only going to be needing a few ingredients. The main ingredients to make the mixture are:
1 lbs ground chicken
1 tbsp ground flax seed
1/4 cup almond flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
However, if you want to make our chicken more flavorful we chose to go for a Moroccan spice blend. This is how I made it:
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 crushed garlic clove
1/2 tsp ground cayenne
1/4 tsp ground cardamom
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
The spice mix gives the chicken meatballs a great dose of flavor, a little bit of heat and a nutritional boost (Hello, Turmeric!). Seeing how these are going to be served in a sweet tomato sauce, that little bit of heat from the cayenne is most welcome.
Broke Foodie’s Tip : For optimal texture, cover your meatballs and chill for 1 hour before cooking. This step is completely optional.
Whenever you are making meatballs of any sort, there are 2 things you absolutely need to keep in mind:
- Texture: Regular meatballs usually call for bread crumbs, which are high in carbs and are definitely not Paleo. That is why we are going to be using almond flour (Keto friendly) and flax seed (high in fiber and minerals)
- Moisture: Dry meatballs are no fun. To avoid ending up with meatballs that taste like cardboard I cook mine in 2 steps. First I sear them in avocado oil to get a nice color on them and add an extra layer of flavor to our chicken meatballs. Second, as soon as their browned from both sides I like to remove them from the pan, add my tomato sauce, let it simmer for a few minutes and then add my browned meatballs to the sauce to allow them to finish cooking (on low-heat). This I find keeps them moist and very pleasing to the eye.
The Tomato Sauce
To make sure that your tomato sauce is Keto and Paleo compliant you need to avoid any sauce that has any kind of added sugar. Read the ingredient list and if there is any ingredient that you don’t know, then don’t buy it.
If you have the time, you can of course make your own, we did. If you would like us to share the recipe, leave us a comment below.
More Heatlthy Paleo & Keto Chicken Recipes
Keto Chicken Meatballs
- In a bowl, combine ground chicken, flax meal, almond flour, dried oregano, cumin, minced garlic, ground cardamom, turmeric, salt and pepper. Mix until all ingredients are thoroughly incorporated into the mixture.
- OPTIONAL: Cover and let your chicken rest in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Using wet hands, form your chicken meatballs into 1 inch meatballs. Heat up a non stick pan to medium-high heat and add in your avocado oil. Sear your meatballs for 1 minute on one side and 30-40 seconds on the other side.
- Remove your meatballs from the pan and add your tomato sauce. Bring to a simmer and add your meatballs back into the sauce. Lower the heat to low, cover and let it cook for another 7-10 minutes.
- Serve with some fresh herbs of your choice, some freshly cracked black pepper and a drizzle of olive oil. Enjoy!