What is up friends? I hope you are having a fantastic beginning of the weekend, I know you deserve your rest. Keeping that in mind, today’s post is going to be a short and sweet one, very sweet. If you are someone who likes to meal prep then this one is for you, friend. It’s a recipe that holds well in the fridge, that satisfies your carnivorous cravings without putting you to sleep, and where the actual “prep” is so worth it. This is my Keto Swedish Meatballs Recipe.
It’s the bomb.
Keto Swedish Meatballs.
Let’s get straight into the obvious question “aren’t meatballs already low carb?”
Well yes, and no. Swedish meatballs certainly are not, they are mixed with Panko breadcrumbs, the gravy calls for flour as a thickener and they are often served with egg noodles, or mashed potatoes.
They would put you to sleep faster than taking a melatonin. I guarantee you that.
However, by substituting the breadcrumbs with coconut flour and flax seed, you’ll feel much lighter after eating this than you would eating its carb-heavy bro. You will actually finish your homework and do the dishes after eating these meatballs. Considering the amount of fat they have, how crazy is that?
Yup, all of these Keto recipes are gluten-free, so if you can’t stomach regular Swedish meatballs, these babies are for you.
Making Keto Swedish Meatballs
Since we cannot use flour or breadcrumbs, making these meatballs keto ready is all about finding the right substitutes. Not just any substitutes, I wanted these to taste exactly the same, if not better than the regular ones.
To achieve that, I used 2 organic free-range eggs, flax meal (without water) and coconut flour. Here is why, the flax meal and coconut flour will absorb all the excess moisture introduced by your eggs, therefore giving you a perfectly tender and malleable base to form your meatballs.
To thicken the sauce I relied solely on heavy cream as once you cook it long enough, all the excess water (present in the cream and beef broth) will evaporate and you will be left with a thick gravy.
And that’s how it’s done.
To the recipe.
Keto Swedish Meatballs - Low Carb Recipe
- 1 Lb ground beef.
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbsp Flax Meal
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Flour.
- 1 Tbsp Salt and Pepper To taste.
- 1/2 Tsp Garlic Powder.
- 1/2 Tsp Onion Powder.
- 1 Tbsp of avocado oil to fry the meatballs.
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream.
- 1/4 Cup smoked pancetta.
- 1 Cup Beef Broth.
- 1 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- 1/2 Tsp grated nutmeg Optional - but very tasty.
- 2 Tbsp of butter.
- In a bowl, mix all of your meatballs ingredients. Form your meatballs. To make sure they are even, you can use an ice cream scoop.
- Heat your avocado oil over high heat in a sauce pan. Sear your meatballs on each side (should take 2 minutes) and remove your meatballs from the pan.
- Add your 2 Tbsp of butter, heavy cream, pancetta and broth. Cook on medium heat until the sauce starts to thicken. This could take several minutes. Make sure you keep on stirring.
- Once the sauce starts to thicken, add your meatballs and cover the pan until they are completely cooked (7-10 minutes).
- Once the sauce is thick enough, turn off the heat, let cool down and serve.
I hope you enjoyed this recipe, if you would like to be notified every time a Keto recipe is available, sign up right here 🙂