One of the biggest challenges I have had, and still have, going through a Ketogenic diet is creating and enjoying more plant-based dishes. It is a challenge, but it is a very enjoyable and potentially yummy one, just like today’s recipe. Today’s recipe is all about keeping the carbs down, the proteins and fats up, and as always, keeping it simple. As simple as a curry, a Vegan Thai Curry.
Keto & Vegan Thai Curry
A lot of people have reached out to me, asking me if it is possible to adopt a vegan keto diet. The short answer is, yes, it is possible. The long answer is, it can be little a challenging.
The challenging part, is my personal favourite in this dilemma. I love a challenge, and that is why, in the future, you will see more and more low carb vegan recipes.
So What Makes this Keto?
Let’s talk macros, here is what you get from one portion (makes 4):
- Net Carbs: 7g
- Fat: 27g
- Protein: 12g
- Calories: 318 kcal
That’s keto in a nutshell, most calories come from healthy fats (in our case plant fats), proteins are the second highest provider of calories and finally carbs.
Answers to questions you might have about this recipe.
How to thicken your Thai Curry? In this case, I know this is not traditional, and I don’t do traditional, I used Natural Almond Butter to thicken the sauce. It adds a nice subtle flavour to the sauce and gives it that signature consistency that we all love.
How to make Thai Curry paste? For this recipe, I did not make it. I used the Thai kitchen brand, if you want my recipe for it, I will share it on the blog. Just ask in the comments box!
I don’t like Tofu, can I use something else? If you’re not vegan, you are in no shortage of choices when it comes to protein (chicken breast, steak, whatever you like). If you’re vegan, tempeh would be my suggestion for you.
How to serve and eat this Thai curry? Easy, grab a pair of chopstick (or fork) and have at it. You can also serve this with cauliflower rice. I personally prefer the first option.
Can I freeze Thai Curry? Yes you can. Place it in a ziplock bag, make sure it’s evenly distributed (it will be easier to defrost) and freeze.
Vegan Thai Curry Recipe.
Vegan Thai Curry
- 1 tofu pack 454g, cut into 16 cubes.
- 2 Bell peppers (Red & Green) Cut into strips
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 15 oz can coconut milk full fat
- 2 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp thai curry paste
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- Thumb sized piece of ginger peeled
- 1 stalk of lemon grass cut into 3 pieces
- 1 clove or garlic
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- Heat a pan at medium heat and melt your coconut oil. Mince your ginger and garlic and add to the pan. Add your bell pepper strips and lemon grass pieces. Stir for 30 seconds and add your coconut milk and chill flakes. Stir again.
- Add your soy sauce, thai curry paste, tomato paste, and almond butter. Stir for 1 minute and add your Tofu cubes. Let your curry cook for 5-10 minutes, or until the sauce thickens and take off the heat.
- Serve with chopped coriander and green onions to add a bit of freshness to the dish.