Hey friends! Qu’es ce que sup? I hope you are enjoying the summer time. For us who live in the northern hemisphere, we know and appreciate the fleeting beauty of summer. It makes the months of June, July, August and September so special.
One thing I don’t like to do during summer is cook complicated, time & energy consuming dishes. Turning on the oven turns my apartment into a sauna.
This why, I decided to make this Keto Chicken Salad by grilling the chicken … outside. That and chicken always tastes better when it is made on a charcoal BBQ.
Keto Chicken Salad
Chicken Salad is perhaps one of the most iconic North American dishes out there. For someone like me, a person who has an aversion of salad in general, and who sometimes thinks that it’s a waste of time … Anyway … I think that chicken salad is awesome and is pretty much the only salad I would eat.
There’s your answer to: “Why I don’t have salad recipes on any of my blogs”
Making a Keto Chicken Salad is kind of a no brainer. It’s already low-carb, the only thing I had to is adjust the macros a little by introducing a couple of typical Keto friendly ingredients.
As Far as Chicken Goes, I recommend that you to use a mix of 80% boneless skinless chicken thighs and 20% chicken breast.
For the dressing, I used an avocado oil homemade mayonnaise and full fat sour cream. To add a little more freshness to it, I added the zest and juice of one lime. It really made the difference as it balanced perfectly the smoky flavour of the grilled chicken.
You will also notice that I did not use any celery. The reason behind that is pretty simple, I hate it. Having one piece of celery in that salad would have completely ruined it for me and render it inedible and possibly ruin my day.
Yes, I have strong celery feelings.
However, for you normal people who like celery, you can always add it to your salad. It’s low-carb and good for you, I’ve heard. I chose to use edamame beans and green onions to add a little crunch to it.
The whole point of cooking is making recipes that you like. With that being said, you can pretty much add anything that will improve this Keto Chicken Salad for you. As long as it fits within your macros.
Keto Chicken Salad
- 750 g boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 250 g chicken breast
- 1 cup edamame beans
- 4 green onions roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp avocado oil mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp full fat sour cream
- 1 lime
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
Cooking your Chicken on The BBQ
- Fire up your BBQ and bring it up to 400° Fahrenheit. Place your Chicken breasts and thighs on the grill and cook on both sides until the internal temperature reaches 165° Fahrenheit (75° Celsius). This could take between 15-25 minutes depending on how efficient your grill is. Set aside and let it cool down for 10 minutes.
Cooking your Chicken in the Oven
- Preheat your oven at 400° Fahrenheit. Place your Chicken breasts and thighs on a baking sheet and lightly spray with oil. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165° Fahrenheit (75° Celsius). Set aside and let it cool down for 10 minutes.
Assembling your salad
- Microwave your edamame beans for 2 minutes. If you don't have a microwave oven, you can boil them for just around 2-3 minutes. Drain from the excess water and set aside
- In a bowl, combine mayonnaise, sour cream, salt & pepper. Using a fine grater, zest your lime then juice it straight into your bowl. Mix your dressing thoroughly. Grab your chicken, cut it into small cubes and add into the bowl. Add your chopped green onions and edamame beans, then using a large spoon, mix your salad until the dressing is evenly spread.