Pick a steak, any steak. Maybe the one that has been sitting in your freezer for a couple of weeks now. You know you want to eat it and you have been putting it off for a while. Maybe because it’s frozen, or maybe just because you are used to having it with mashed potatoes. Well, that ends today, because once you make these keto burrito bowls, you will not be missing your mashed potatoes anymore.
We’ve just raised the stakes.
Keto Burrito Bowl Recipe
I’ll be real with you now, the real components of this dish that make it a “burrito” bowl, are the guacamole, pico de gallo and cauliflower rice. The steak is kind of filling a supporting role here. However, it is still steak. Which means, it can’t be underestimated.
I chose steak for this keto burrito bowl because it carries the flavours perfectly and leaves me very satiated.
That been said, here is what you are going to need to make this
- Your favourite cut of steak. I made this with a flat iron steak.
- Bell peppers, red and green.
- One small red onion.
- 3 Avocados.
- Lime & Cilantro of course.
- Smoked paprika.
- Some butter & olive oil to fry the steak
- Salt & Pepper to taste
The best thing about these Keto burrito bowls is that they’re perfect for meal prep. You can make it ahead of time, build up your bowls (in this case topperwares) and just grab one as you leave for work.
Home chef’s tip
If you are going to be meal prepping, you’re probably better off undercooking your steak.
For example: If you like your steak to be medium rare, you should stop cooking it when it’s just rare, this way when you warm it up your microwave at work, it will be just perfect.
Questions you might have.
Can I make this using any other type of meat? Yes, you can make this recipe with chicken, shrimp, ground beef, pork chops, whatever your heart desires.
Can I make this if I’m vegan? Yes, all you gotta do is swap the beef for some tofu or tempeh, the butter for some olive oil and you’re good to go.
Are these Keto Burrito Bowls healthy? Yes, if you are following a low carb diet. They’re high in nutrients and are also gluten-free.
Let me know if there are any other questions down in the commentary box.
Keto Burrito Bowls - Steak & Pico de Gallo
Cilantro & Lime Cauliflower Rice
- 1 Large head of cauliflower
- 1 Lime
- A handful of cilantro. roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil to cook
- Salt & pepper to taste
Low-Carb Pico de Gallo
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 1 Green Bell Pepper
- 1/2 Large onion
- 1/2 Lemon
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tomato
- 3 Avocados
- 1/2 Lemon
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 Steaks of your choice. Approximately 700-800 grams in total of meat.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- Salt & pepper
- In a large food processor, add cauliflower florets, chopped cilantro, salt & pepper and juice from your lime. Pulse for 10-15 seconds or until you get a crumbly texture.
- Warm up a non stick pan on medium heat, and add your olive oil to it. Add your cauliflower rice and cook for 5-6 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
Pico de Gallo
- Cut your bell peppers, half onion and tomato into small cubes and add into a bowl. Juice and zest your half lemon and add to the bowl. Add smoked paprika, cayenne, salt & pepper and olive oil into the bowl and mix. Set aside.
For the steak
- Generously salt and pepper your steaks on both sides.
- Warm up a pan to medium-high heat. Add your olive oil. Using a the palm of your hand, smash the garlic and add it to pan. Once it starts sizzling, add your steaks and cook for 4 minutes before flipping.
- Add your butter to the pan and flip your steaks. Cook for a little over 2 minutes and remove from the pan. You will end up with perfectly cooked medium rare steaks.
- Wrap in aluminum foil and let them rest for 5 minutes.
- While your steaks are resting, scoop up the flesh from your avocados and add to the food processor. Add lemon juice from your half lemon along with the rest of the ingredients and blend until it gets smooth.
- Cut your steak into thing slices and assemble your bowls in any way you want.
If you liked this recipe, why don’t you share it! And if you’re a fan of keto recipes, we got you covered, sign up for our keto newsletter and we will notify you by email each time there is a new recipe out.