Ciao, it’s a-me again, Idriss, bringing you another fantastico dinner recipe. And Guess What?! Just like the other posts on this blog, this recipe is easy, thrifty, vegan and delicious. It also happens to be square pasta filled with happiness. This is my vegan ravioli recipe.
Vegan Ravioli Dough
Now you have already heard (or in this case read) my rant about making vegan pasta. If you haven’t, you should! It’s basically just me bitching about the fact that pasta-life is not the way it is supposed to be.
I’m sure you can appreciate that.
The whole point of that post was basically to say that fresh pasta is easy to make, very cheap and most of all, does not require eggs.
Vegan Ravioli dough for a faboulus vegan ravioli. Does it get any better than this?
The Vegan Ravioli Filling I Used
So, as I finished making that fresh pasta I obviously wanted to make a special something (for date night) out of it. Something vegan and easy.
My logic was: I already made the effort of making fresh pasta and did not want to make something too over the top.
Pasta is all about simplicity, the more you complicate it, the worse it will be. Trust me.
When thinking of a sauce, always think about a flavour that would complement and balance the filling. If you are making a rich intense kind of filling, go for a light refreshing sauce to balance it.
In this case, that is what I chose.
The filling consisted of Romano beans, green onions and a balanced spice mix. The flavours were very rich and complex so naturally, I paired it with a vegan butter and mushroom sauce with a touch of lemon zest and juice.
Perfection is the word.
Take a look:
In three words:
All that made with no animal food. Now that’s a win.
Do you like what we do here? Then subscribe to our newsletter so you won’t ever miss a recipe and help us grow our tiny blog!
Thanks for being awesome,
Vegan Ravioli Recipe
Vegan Ravioli with a Creamy Rich Filling
1 Pasta dough (Link below)
- 3/4 Cups Romano Beans
- 1/3 Cup green onions chopped
- 1/4 Tsp liquid smoke
- Juice of half a lemon
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
- 1 Tbsp Paprika
- 3 Tbsp vegan butter
- Juice and zest of half a lemon
- 3-4 Sage leaves
- 4-5 Brown mushrooms or any of your choice
- Start by blending all the ingredients of your vegan filling, until completely smooth and set aside.
- Using a pasta maker, cut your pasta into 2 and roll it until it's just under 1/4 inch thick.
- You should end up with 2 long pasta sheets.
- Scoop one tbsp at a time, or a smaller quantity depending on how big your like your raviolis to be.
- Place your filling on 1 long pasta sheet and leave at least 1 inch space between them.
- Place the second sheet on top and cut your raviolis in the middle, making sure you leave some room to seal the raviolis using a fork.
- Grab a fork and start sealing your raviolis just like in the photo above.
- Set your pasta aside.
- Cut your mushrooms in half.
- Warm up a pan and melt your butter and start sautéing your mushrooms with sage.
- Take of the heat and add your lemon juice and zest.
- Bring 8 cups of water to a boil.
- Cook your raviolis. As soon as they start floating they are ready.
- Place on plate and add your sauce.
Cost per portion : 2.40 $CA The cost of my recipes is based on the average cost of ingredients I use. It's mostly provided as a guideline for you to understand the true savings you can make when you choose to cook at home.