Mmmmmm … Cooookiiieees (in the cookie monster’s voice). What began as a simple experiment, turned into the best vegan chocolate mint cookies I have ever made. The problem is, when something is sweet and tastes that good, your girlfriend might get there before you do. So watch out
So watch out, this advice is as important as the steps I’m gonna show you. As a matter of fact, this is the last step of the recipe : Protect your cookies.
I am gonna be very honest with you when I attempted this, all I wanted is double chocolate. Then I saw in the fridge that I had some pure mint extract. From that point on there was no coming back. My decision was made : Vegan chocolate mint cookies !
I’ll tell you why I really wanted to keep these cookies vegan
- Regular eggs and butter have, in my opinion, just too much saturated fats. Animal saturated fats.
- Flax eggs are so high in fiber and omega 3.
- I wanted everyone to be able to enjoy these. Vegans and carnivores alike.
You think I put enough chocolate chips ?
The result surprised even me. The cookies turned really well. They were very chewy, very chocolaty with an awesome hint of freshness from the mint.
As I was taking the pictures for the blog, I could hear Léa in the background say :
Well, can I at least eat this ugly looking one ? It’s just sitting there … It won’t look pretty on the pictures anyway.
Yes, good cookies turn decent people into cookie monsters. “It is known” #Gameofthrones
So, fair warning, keep an eye on the cooling rack. Or you might come back to the empty rack.
As always, I have used extra dark chocolate chips and raw organic cacao powder.
It really is easy to make much healthier treats at home, as long as you know what you want and you are determined enough, I promise you that you will not struggle with it.
I love the freedom that cooking at home gives me and the ability to add my personality and style into my favourite childhood foods.
How about you friend ? Would you have made this differently ? What combination of flavours would you have went for ? Let us know in the commentary box !
You like these vegan chocolate mint cookies ? Pin this and make it later !
I sincerely hope that you enjoyed reading this and that you will give these vegan chocolate mint cookies a go in your kitchen with your friends and loved ones.
The recipe :
Vegan Chocolate Mint Cookies
- 1 Flax egg.
- 1/2 cup of vegan butter or margarine.
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 3/4 cup of extra dark vegan chocolate chips.
- 1 cup of organic coconut sugar.
- 1/2 tsp of white vinegar.
- Preheat your oven to 375.
- In a bowl mix all the dry ingredients together.
- In a separate bowl, start by beating the butter with the sugar until completely mixed. Then add your flax egg and mix. You should end up with a thick batter (As shown in the picture above).
- Add your vinegar, peppermint extract, and mix.
The purpose of vinegar here is to react with the baking soda. So you can end up with nice chewy cookies.
- Add your dry mix to your wet and fold it in using a wooden spatula. You should end up with a thick cookie dough.
- Throw in your chocolate chips and mix.
- Using your hands, form little balls of cookie dough. Place your cookie dough balls on a parchment paper covered baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 mins. When you take your cookies out, they should be very soft to the touch.
- Let them rest for 2-4 minutes. Then using a spatula, transfer them to a cooling rack and let them chill.
- Enjoy !
Cost per recipe : 9.21 $CA ; 6.80 USD The cost in U.S. $ is based on a conversion from Canadian dollars to U.S. Dollars.
I realise that the cost of this recipe is higher than the average recipes you see on my blog. This is due to the fact that I used extra dark chocolate chip cookies, and coconut sugar. If you choose to use cheaper ingredients, the price will be much lower.