Rejoice, my vegan people, today is a great day, you can even say it’s a sweet day, it’s vegan cheesecake day, or vegan pie day, depending on how you look at it.
I look it at as, Hmmmm chocolate stufffff …
Vegan Cheesecake or Vegan Pie?
For the longest of time, I have been trying to make a good vegan cheesecake, one that is not frozen, not made with cashews and does not taste like a bitter disappointment.
It drives me crazy when I see the amount of terrible vegan cheesecakes out there where the recipe clearly calls for it to be served frozen. That’s insane, no cheesecake is ever served frozen. The whole point is to have that fresh bite of velvety cheese and feel like someone just pulled you up to the heavens.
I am happy to say that this vegan cheesecake has done just that. Made with Silken Semi-Firm Tofu and Chocolate, it is able to hold its own without needing to be frozen (Because of the incorporated chocolate ganache) and most of all, it tastes just like the real thing.
Now, what do you think this should be called? A Vegan cheesecake or Vegan Pie?
How to make Vegan Cheesecake
There are a ton of great cheesecakes out there, some use almonds for the filling, others use cashews. My favourite cheese substitute is Semi-Firm Silken Tofu.
When you are making a no-bake vegan cheesecake like this one, it will be very hard for the filling to hold itself together because it is not made out of cheese.
That’s where your chocolate comes in. Chocolate is full of fat, Saturated fat and when cooled down, it becomes rock solid, which in our case makes the perfect binding agent for our cheesecake.
Serving it with a warm chocolate glaze gives a very nice contrast between, cold and warmth, dark rich bitter chocolate and sweet fluffy cheese filling.
Phenomenal. I’m so glad I made this, it’s a game changer for me and hopefully for you too.
That’s it from me, If you have enjoyed this recipe, please share it, and if you are looking for a really awesome vegan pie crust to make this, subscribe to our Newsletter and you will get access to our member’s library.
Thanks for reading,
Mind-Blowing Vegan Cheesecake - No Cashews
- 1 1/2 Cup of Vegan Cookie Crumbs. I used Chocolate.
- 1 1/4 Tbsp of Melted Butter Earth Balance Vegan Butter.
- 2 Tbsp of Brown Sugar
- 454 g Medium Firm Silken Tofu. one pack.
- 2 Cups of Chocolate Chips.
- 1/2 Cup of Almond Milk. You can sub with Coconut milk.
- 1 Cup of Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Cup of Hazelnut Butter. This is my favourite choice you can sub with Cashew Butter, Almond Butter, Peanut Butter or another type of nut butter you love.
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract.
Vegan Nutella Glaze
- 1 Tbsp Hazelnut butter
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1/3 Cup Dark Chocolate Chips make sure they're vegan
- Start by combining in a bowl all your pie crust ingredients. Mix thoroughly and transfer to parchment paper lined pie dish (8-9 inches will do). Set aside.
- Remove your tofu from the package and pat it dry with a paper towel. Transfer to a blender and blend until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add your hazelnut butter, brown sugar and vanilla extract and mix. You can do this either in a stand mixer or by using an electric hand mixer.
- Place your Chocolate chips and Almond milk in a microwave-safe measuring cup and cook for 1 minute or until your chocolate melts completely. Whisk your chocolate and milk together to ensure that it’s fully dissolved. Add your chocolate to the tofu mixture, whisk it thoroughly and pour over your pie dish.
- Chill for 12 hours.
Make your Vegan Hazelnut Glaze
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Microwave for 1 minute. Take out and whisk for another minute until everything is fully incorporated. Enjoy.
- Serve a slice with some of your stunning warm glaze.
Vegan or not, that’s one fine looking dessert! Rarely do I indulge in dessert, but I’d go for this one. Great instructional post,
Thank you Ron!
This is so awesome. It is creamy, light (I find regular cheesecakes to be heavy) and delicious.
Awesome! I’m glad you enjoyed it 🙂
I prefer to use silken tofu rather than cashews for my cheesecakes too, but they never look so decadent and delicious ♥ pinned to try it asap 🙂
Awesome! Let us know how it works for you Francesca via our social accounts. We would love to see! Have fun 😉
Silken tofu is great as a cream cheese replacement! I’ve made both cherry “Cheese”cakes with it, and also some really great cream “cheese” icing for things like carrot cakes or cinnamon rolls
This looks amazing can’t wait to try it, do you have any more vegan cheesecake recipes? 😊
At the moment this is the only Vegan cheesecake Recipe we have, but we will be publishing more soon, for sure 🙂
Can I not use Almond/coconut milk? I don’t have any milk at all
If you don’t use any kind of milk the texture of the cheesecake might not turn out well. You can try substituting for water, but I don’t guarantee it will work.