What do you do when you have some coconut cream and spices staring at you? It’s cold outside and your soul is calling for a warm hug to lift it up from the cold of winter. I’ll tell you what you do; you make this vegan butter chicken with some flatbread and just call it a day.
Your soul will thank me.
Indian Butter Chicken
Butter Chicken is a dish that is very dear to my heart. The first time I have ever stepped into an Indian restaurant was in Montreal; I was very reluctant to do it, but one of my friends insisted on me trying the cuisine. So I did. My friend suggested Indian Butter Chicken as an entry level curry.
Smart move. You see, when you want somebody to try a new cuisine, you always try to find a dish that is less on the exotic side and more on the familiar one. You get me bro? Sis? Son? Whatever applies to you?…
Vegan Indian Recipes
Indian cuisine has some of the most delicious dishes out there, and a lot of it can be easily turned into delicious vegan Indian recipes. Over the past year, I have made some of the most delicious Tofu Curries and this one right here is my favourite.
I was seriously in love. Soft cubes of chicken swimming in a sea of cream, butter and a perfect blend of spices? Glorious.
Here is what you need to make vegan butter chicken
- Coconut Cream
- Tomato Paste
- Spice blend (listed below)
How to make vegan Butter Chicken? This is the easiest vegan curry you can possibly make. All you have to do is make the sauce, and drop the tofu in it. Done!
Adding the tofu at the end guarantees that it will stay moist and tender. Which is the perfect consistency you want in this dish.
Now to the most serious question.
How to make the vegan butter chicken sauce? I know there are a hundred recipes out there calling for the use of cashews and all sorts of fancy ingredients to make the creamy sauce. I prefer using coconut cream. Here is how I do it:
- Cook down your onions and ginger along with your spices/seeds.
- Add coconut cream and tomato paste.
- Stir and let it cook down until it’s thick enough (to your taste of course)
That’s your sauce!
The gateway curry:
If you have never made Indian food at home then this is your gateway to an amazing culinary world.
Or even if you never made any food before. It’s that easy to make.
The result is this easy, comforting, healthy and super flavourful dish that’ll blow your friends away. But why take my word for it? Take 20 minutes of your day to make it and taste for yourself.
If you like what we do, why don’t you subscribe to our newsletter to support us and help us grow.
Do you like this? Pin this image and share it with your friends.
Vegan Butter Chicken
- A medium-large onion finely chopped.
- 1 15 oz can of coconut cream.
- 1 15 oz can of chickpeas.
- A handful of fresh coriander.
- 1.5 tbsp Tomato paste.
- 1 tsp of mango chutney.
- 1 454 g pack of extra firm tofu
- Some canola oil to cook.
- In a deep sauce pan, or pot, warm up about a tsp of canola oil.
- Add your seeds, and warm them up until they start sizzling.
- Add your chopped onion and cook until they become a little transparent.
- Now add your coconut cream, tomato paste, chutney and chickpeas and stir. Add the rest of your spices and stir.
- Cook for about 10 minutes or until the sauce thickens and add Tofu. And cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to your taste.
- Using your hands break the fresh coriander and garnish.
- Serve warm with some flat bread and enjoy.