Heeeya, Idriss here. I got breaking news for you chicos and chicas, the most amazing burgers in the world, aren’t always made with meat, and today, I am here to prove it to you, with my awesome Tofu Burger!
Don’t roll your eyes, come on … Get excited instead, this is the best thing that ever happened to tofu, and possibly chicken, because not only this baby is loaded with protein, it is topped with caramelized onions and a sweet and smoky dijonnaise that will knock your socks off.
Take a look at it. It’s looking at you, taunting you, daring you to take it on. Will you listen to what it’s telling you?
“Soy Burger … Tofu, Burger.”
Thanks, Spanish 101.
A vegan affair
2 or 3 years ago, if you came to me and said :”Idriss, you’re gonna be eating tofu burgers and reduce your animal food consumption to maybe a couple of times a month.”
I would have laughed and ordered a meat lover pizza.
Yet here we are.
My decision to reduce animal food consumption was mostly based on the fact that I wanted to improve my overall health. I came across many people that swear by plant based diets and I was dared to try it for 2 weeks or so.
What a great decision it was !
I discovered many great recipes, and one of them is this awesome tofu burger.
Here is the thing though: I am not vegan! I still enjoy vegan recipes most of the days.
Being vegan/vegetarian isn’t about being perfect, it’s about minimizing the bad stuff and incorporating more of the good stuff.
That’s the way to go. If you are somebody who is judging people and saying things like:”OH MY GAD, you’re not even a vegan because I saw you licking some honey off of your finger”
You should know that you are doing more harm than good.
That was my “cool story bro” moment.
Léa had a bite of this burger and could not believe it was meat-free. She has converted to veganism, fully and unapologetically some time ago and I have nothing but respect for her, and lots of love of course.
After she took that first bite, she literally said: “BABE!! Is this for real? No chicken in here? Vegan?”
Yes, yes and yes.
Here is the thing about this burger, all you need is 20 minutes and some very minor cooking skills and you’ll be sure to impress too.
Let me tell you why. Take a block of tofu, flax eggs, salt, and some pepper and grind it all in your food processor. Shape it, and that’s your patty. Caramelised onions? Don’t even sweat it. It’s just a couple of sliced onions cooked on medium heat until they completely caramelise. Add to that some sweet and smoky dijonnaise(Mayo, Dijon, Brown Sugar, Liquid Smoke).
Also, you gotta have buns Hun. I made my own burger buns, which takes very little work and not as much time as you would think. And the result is worth it. The problem is, I couldn’t even decide which part was my favourite, the soft homemade (And wholewheat) bun, or the amazing smoky flavour from the dressing, or the caramelised onions. I don’t know. I was just there, you know. That place we all want to be.
Take a bite, and join me to flavour town.
If you like our recipes, subscribe to our newsletter to get the recipe for our homemade burger buns and also your very own copy of our free eBook : Top 10 Money Saving Tips.
Tofu Burger with caramelised onions and dijonnaise
- 1 14 ounces block of extra firm tofu.
- 2 Flax eggs.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- 4 Burger Buns. I used whole wheat homemade buns. Sign up if you want the recipe!
- 2 Medium onions.
- 2 tbsp Grape seed oil to cook your onions and patties.
Sweet and smoky dijonnaise:
- 2 Tbsp of Vegannaise.
- 1 Tbsp of old fashionned mustard.
- 1/4 Tsp of liquid smoke.
- Cut your onions in half, and slice them.
- Warm up your oil in a pan to medium heat, and add your onions.
- Cook your onions until they completely caramelise. If they seem like they're burning, add a little bit of hot water and continue cooking until done.
- In a food processor, put your tofu, flax eggs, salt and pepper.
- Shape up your patties. This will give you exactly 4 patties.
- Cook your patties on a non stick pan on medium-high heat, until golden brown (about 3-4 minutes on each side).
- While your patties are cooking, make sure your buns are toasted to perfection.
- Assemble your burger, by adding a teaspoon of dijonnaise, some crunchy greens of your choice, your patty, caramelised onions, and a generous dollop of dijonnaise.
This week’s discovery : Liquid smoke.
It completely blew my mind. A little drop adds that signature taste of barbecue that we all love. I found one that was natural, and hopefully you will give it a try too. This thing is a game changer.
Did you love this recipe? Pin this and make it later!