Crab Cakes are one of those foods that have reached quasi-religious importance in certain parts of the world, like on the East Coast. These humans are very serious about their crab cakes, and one can easily see why. They are fantastic! And that coming North-African grown guy, like me, who knew absolutely nothing about crabs.
… Except for the fact that they move sideways with their claws in the air. Like in Mario Kart. That I knew already.
Let’s get to it, shall we?
How to Make the Best Crab Cakes
As pretty every single recipe that has ever mattered to anyone, you start with the best freshest ingredients you can find and afford. In this case, the best crab meat you can get your hands on. Good crab meat can make the entire difference in this recipe.
Not to mention that if you are serious about Keto, you should probably avoid all kinds of fake meats and substitutes. There is an interesting article from Business insider right here about imitation crab meat. That being said, if imitation crab is all you can get, you can still make this recipe and enjoy it 🙂
And if you want know why real crab is much better, then here are 5 Reasons Why Eating Crab is Good for You!
Here is what you will need for this recipe:
- 1 lbs of crab meat
- 1 tbsp Coconut flour
- 2 tbsp of my Keto Breading (recipe can be found here and in the recipe card)
- 2 large Eggs
- Pinch of smoked paprika
- Pinch of Salt
- 1/2 cup of mayonnaise
- 1 tsp of Dijon
Making crab cakes is just as easy as putting this list of ingredients together. Just mix everything in a bowl, form into small patties and refrigerate for at least an hour before cooking. This will help you crab cakes set. Once that’s done, cook your crab cakes on each side and serve them with your favorite dressing. I like to make a very lemony tartar sauce, which I will share with you now:
Idriss’ Lemony Tartar Sauce:
- 2 heaped tbsp of mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon
- 1 tbsp minced sweet onion
- Juice and zest of one organic lemon
- 1 tbsp finely chopped dill
- salt and pepper to taste
To make the tartar sauce, just mix everything together in a bowl until fully combined and serve with your crab cakes. Why organic lemon? Because you’re eating the zest, friend.
You can serve your crab cakes on top of a salad, with some crunchy fresh zoodles, sauteed veggies or even mashed cauliflower. It goes well with pretty much anything.
CRAB CAKE Q & A
Can I freeze my crab cakes? You can totally batch cook these and freeze them. All you have to do is bake them at low heat until they warm up and get some of their crisp back and you’re good to go.
I have a hard time shaping my crab cakes into patties. How do I do it? This is always a tricky part, what you want to do is wet your hand and go as gently as possible. Make sure you let them rest for 1 hour in the fridge before cooking.
Can I bake my Keto Crab Cakes? Yes you can, spray them with some avocado oil and bake at high heat. However, I do not recommend that you do that because since you will probably end up with a much drier crab cake.
Are these Keto Crab Cakes also Gluten-Free? Yes, absolutely.
Keto Crab Cakes
For the Crab Cake
- 1 lbs crab meat make sure you check the meat for any cartilage or shells
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1 tbsp Dijon
- 2 tbsp keto breading
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
Lemony Tartar Sauce
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tsp dijon
- 1 tbsp finely minced red onion
- 1/2 lemon juiced and zested
- 1 tbsp chopped dill
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Place your crab meat in a bowl and using your hands, break your crab meat into smaller pieces. In a separate bowl add mayonnaise, eggs, dijon, sea salt and paprika. Mix until fully incorporated. Add to your crab meat along with the rest of the ingredients.
- Shape into 6-8 crab cakes, and place on your a large platter or baking sheet. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Preheat a large non-stick pan (at medium high) and coat with coconut oil or avocado oil. Once the pan is hot gently place your crab cake and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Prepare your Lemony Tartar Sauce by mixing all ingredients together and serve on top of your crab cakes. Enjoy!