Fish sticks or fish fingers are one of those foods that are unanimously loved. Just like Chicken fingers. Who doesn’t like a good serving of fish stick/fingers with a delicious homemade tartar sauce? Seriously who?
Today’s recipe is a remake of the British born dish, except, we are making keto and paleo friendly.
That’s right, we are leaving breadcrumbs behind, along with all kinds of carb-heavy batters and, we are remaking this the right way. The keto way.
How to make these Keto Fish Sticks
Choose the right fish: In my humble opinion, cod is the right way to go. Wild caught cod to be more precise. Texture-wise, cod is flakey and has a nice bite to it. Taste-wise, it’s heavenly. Nutrition-wise, it’s rock solid. It’s very rich in protein, it’s a great source of B vitamins not to mention all the selenium and phosphorus your body gets out of every bite of this awesome fish. If you would like to know more about the health benefits of cod, check out this awesome article by healthline.
Making the keto breading: You know it wouldn’t be right if we didn’t get these fish stick as crispy as can be. To achieve that, I’m going to use my classic keto breading recipe which is basically a mix of: Psyllium husk, pork rinds and oregano.
To Fry or to Air-fry? I did both, as I wanted to compare the results. The pan-fried fish sticks browned a little better and were just a tad more crispy. However, with that extra crispiness comes extra oil. That is why I prefer to Air-fry these bad boys.
If you are going to be making things like keto chicken nuggets, keto chicken cutlets or even keto scotch eggs. Then you should probably consider investing in an air-fryer. This is the one I use, and I highly recommend it.
Can you spot the pan Air-fried fish sticks?
Do you want to try more crispy keto recipes?
- Keto Scotch EggsChicken
- Nuggets with a sweet dijon sauce
- Perfectly Crispy Chicken Cutlets
- Creamy & Crispy Avocado Fries
Keto Fish Sticks
- 2 lbs of wild-caught cod
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
Keto Breading (Mix all ingredients together in a bowl)
Tartar Sauce (Mix all in one bowl and set aside)
- 1 cup keto mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp minced onion or french shallot
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Start by cutting your cod into sticks. If you want an exact measurement, try cutting them into sticks that are 3 x 1 x 1. Dip your fish sticks into the egg bowl, and then in your keto breading. Set aside.
- Melt your coconut oil in a frying pan on medium heat. Fry your fish sticks for 3-4 minutes on each side. Serve with some lemon wedges and your homemade tartar.