Oh yeah! Rejoice my vegan friends today’s post is all for you. I’m talking about buttery, crumbly, soft and super fruity Vegan Blueberry Bars.
The buttery part is of course achieved using Earth Balance’s Vegan Butter. I’m so happy this product exists.
The Perfect Summer Treat
I have been thinking lately about the perfect summery treat. By perfect, I mean a dessert that is so good, the moment you take a bite of it, you are immediately thinking “Montreal Summer”.
For me and many Montrealers, I’m sure, summer means berries. Blueberries to be more precise. During the summer the Quebecor farmers harvest massive amounts of them and I end up eating an equally massive amount of them.
I need to make up for all the years I lived in Morocco and didn’t know about Blueberries.
These Vegan Blueberry Bars are a good way to start.
These are a few things you need to know about this dessert:
- You don’t have to double bake the crust. You can bake it once if you want, but, you will end up having more of a chewy crust rather than crispy.
- You can swap Tapioca Starch for Arrowroot or Corn Starch.
- Rice Krispies are optional, but highly recommended. As far as I’m concerned, if there is another cereal you enjoy more, go ahead and use it.
- This dessert is meant to be enjoyed cold! COLD! … Don’t cut into it right away, refrigerate for at least 2-3 hours, cut and enjoy. You need to allow the butter to cool off and add more texture to your bars.
Summer Blueberry Bars
Crust & Crumble
- 1 lbs Blueberries you can use frozen
- 1/3 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp Tapioca Starch
- In a food processor, add melted butter, oats, flour, sugar, brown sugar and water. Blend until you form a dough and take out. Form into a ball, cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- Preheat your oven to 375 F.
- Warm up a non-stick sauce pan on medium-high heat. Add blueberries and granulated sugar and stir. Bring to a boil and lower the heat. Add the Tapioca starch, and stir again. Let your blueberry filling simmer until it thickens. This step should take 10 - 12 minutes. Once ready, set aside and let it cool down.
- Line an 8x8 brownie pan with parchment paper. Take your dough out of the fridge and cut in half. Push half of your dough onto your pan while making sure that it is evenly spread across the pan. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until your crust is golden.
- Pour your blueberry filling on top of your crust. Break your other half of your dough using your fingers until it turns into crumbles and carefully cover your blueberry filling with it. Sprinkle some Rice Krispies on top and bake again for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool down for 10 minutes. Refrigerate your bars for at least 2-3 hours before serving.