Let’s get real here, a good mac and cheese is all about the cheese, well mostly. Pasta is a significant part of it, sure, but it’s all about that cheese sauce and bacon. That’s where the all mighty cauliflower made another appearance, to save the day and bring us an amazing Keto Mac and Cheese recipe.
Cheese sauce and bacon …
Keto Mac and Cheese with Cauliflower
The mighty cauliflower comes to the rescue again. How amazing is that veggie? It was my go to when I was eating mostly vegan and it’s my go to as I am on a Keto diet right now. I love it.
I’ll be honest with you though, this can be made with pretty much any low-carb veggie.
You can easily substitute cauliflower for zucchini, eggplant, broccoli … all good choices.
How to make the cheese sauce?
Since we are not using any flour/roux to thicken the sauce, the choice of cheese here is very critical. You need a strong cheese, such as cheddar for the taste, and an ooey gooey cheese. In this case, mozzarella is your best friend as it will thicken the sauce and give you that awesome mac and cheese satisfaction.
That’s right ooey gooey is an adjective.
With that in mind, here is what you will need to make this awesome keto mac and cheese:
- Smoked Pancetta.
- Cheddar cheese.
- Almond milk.
- Ground chipotle.
- Turmeric, for the awesome benefits it provides.
- Salt & Pepper to taste.
Useful things to know
Can I choose any other type of cheese to make this? Yes, you can sub the cheddar, and only the cheddar for any other cheese you have. Don’t substite mozzarella as it is crucial for the texture of this sauce.
Can I use regular milk? Milk is very high in carbs and might not be the best option for you if you are trying to stay in ketosis.
Can I use heavy cream? Yes.
Can I sub pancetta for good old bacon? Yes! I prefer pancetta because it has more of a meaty bite to it and does not disappear in the sauce.
Stovetop Keto Mac and Cheese
- 1 Head of cauliflower. Cut it the florets out and make sure they are relatively small and even sized.
- 3/4 Cup of pancetta cut into cubes.
- 1 cup almond milk or other low carb option
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated mozzarella
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- Salt & Pepper to taste.
- Bring 4 cups of salted water to a boil in a pot, over high heat. Add cauliflower, and cook for 8 minutes or until it’s cooked through (Make sure it's not over cooked as in too soft tender) . Strain the cauliflower, and set aside.
- In a sauce pan, melt your butter and cook your pancetta through for 4 minutes and add almond milk, salt, pepper and chipotle, turmeric to it. Stir frequently and increase heat to medium-high. Once mixture comes to a simmer, add cauliflower to saucepan and stir well. Reduce heat to medium-low and let it cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add grated cheeses, allow to sit about 30 seconds until slightly melty and then stir until your cauliflower is well coated in cheese.
- Serve while it's hot