What do you do when it’s apple season and apples are abundant anywhere you shop? Sure, you can make apple pie – and trust me – we will. Or you can make apple sauce. But what’s even better than apple sauce? Apple butter. Yes, today I will share with you Léa’s recipe for a paleo apple butter.
Before you ask… No, this does not have any butter. Only apples, a few spices, and time. That’s right, it’s totally vegan.
This just looks like Fall, doesn’t it ?
Just try to taste using your mind and imagine this with me for a second: caramelized apples – cinnamon – nutmeg – coconut sugar – and all-spice. All these ingredients make a apple spreadable deliciousness. To Hell with refined sugar! We don’t need it.
Are you there ? Can you taste it ? Let me help you along a little more… Imagine spreading an apple pie tasting “butter” on your favorite toasted bread or a warm croissant. Here is a visual to help you understand what I am trying to tell you, here.
Do we understand each other now ? Are we on the same page ? This is just like spreading apple pie without all the carbs, the fats or the sugar. The title really says it all (except for vegan) : easy, paleo apple butter. Need I say more ?
If you have a crock pot (And you probably do, they are so convenient), you can just sit back and let it do all the work for you. Seriously, you won’t have to do a thing. Except give it a stir every now and then. And enjoy the smell in your house…
Once it’s ready, you will be so happy and proud that you made this. I know I was. I was happier to eat it though… True story.
You like this Paleo Apple butter ? Pin it and make it later !
I sincerely hope that you will give this a try, even if you do not have a crock pot (I will leave instructions on how to cook it on your stove top). Do give it a go, and let me know how it went for you.
Paleo Apple Butter
- 6 Cups of organic apple sauce. Preferably unsweetened. I prefer using apple sauce to apples since it saves a lot of time. You don't have to peel anything and it cooks much faster.
- 1/2 Cup of raw organic honey.
- 2 sticks of cinnamon.
- 1/4 Tsp of Nutmeg.
- 1/4 Tsp of salt.
- 1/2 Tsp of all-spice.
CROCK POT COOKING INSTRUCTIONS
- Place all our ingredients (except for cinnamon sticks) in the crock pot.
- Throw in your cinnamon sticks once everything is mixed and turn on the heat to high for 20 minutes.
- Decrease the heat to low and cook for 9 to 10 hours or until very thick and dark consistency is reached. Stir occasionally.
- Remove the lid, and cook for an additional hour.
- If desired, you can use a hand blender and whisk to make it very smooth and glossy. I omitted this step since I like my apple butter a bit more gritty.
STOVE TOP COOKING INSTRUCTIONS:
- If you are cooking it on stove top, the heat should be medium-high until it simmers, and then drop it to low and keep it covered for the first hour. Stir often; you will have to check on it more often and stir to make sure the bottom does not burn.
- Once the mixture starts to darken and thicken (could be anywhere from 1 hour to 2 hours) uncover and stir more often. Keep at the same heat or lower if it's bubbling too much and seems too dry at the bottom when you stir.