Let’s talk muffins boys and girls, and most importantly let’s talk cranberries. As a Broke Foodie, and trust me, I am, I love leftovers. They challenge my creative side and the thrifty one at the same time. Yes, when the world gives you too many cranberries, you make Orange Cranberry Muffins.
Easy, scary muffins
Find me someone who doesn’t like muffins. Just try.
Everyone loves muffins, everyone buys them, but not everyone makes them. Be the change you want to see in the world. Be a muffin maker.
They are incredibly easy to make and require very little time or effort. The result fills your home with an incredible smell and is a perfect on-the-go snack for the week.
This is one of many muffin recipes, comment below and let me know if you want me to add a twist to one of your favourite muffin variations and I will follow up with an epic recipe for you. Why not, right?
Orange Cranberry Muffins.
Here is the thing about cranberries. They are unpalatable, period. Last time I tried to make these muffins, I directly put the cranberries in the batter and boy was that a bad idea. Don’t get me wrong, the muffins were delicious, but those cranberries were so bitter which kind of ruined it for me.
So I decided to turn the cranberries into a sauce/jam before baking them, this way we can get the best out of both worlds. It worked.
The muffins were soft, and very fragrant because of the orange zest, as for the cranberries, they complimented perfectly the sweetness from the muffin.
Are Cranberry Muffins Healthy?
Nope! In moderation, they’re probably okay and are surely a lot healthier than your regular chocolate chip, double chocolate, topped with smores muffins.
How to make Cranberry Muffins
Orange Cranberry Muffins (Vegan Friendly)
- 1 1/4 Cup of all purpose flour
- 1 Tsp of Baking Soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 Cup melted butter. If vegan use vegan butter I use Earth Balance. It works Great.
- 1 Flax Egg. You can of course sub with 1 large egg
- 2 Oranges.
- 1/2 Cup of Sugar.
- 1 Tsp of pure vanilla extract.
- 1/2 Tsp of vinegar.
- 2 Tbsp Almond milk You can sub for milk if you're not vegan
- 2 Cups of Cranberries
- 1/4 Cup of Sugar.
- 1 Tbsp vegan butter. or just butter if you're not vegan.
- Start by making your jam. In a saucepan, place your cranberries, sugar and butter in a non-stick saucepan. Cook down on medium heat for 8-9 minutes or until your mixture gets thick like jam. Set aside and using a potato mashers, crush the remaining cranberries until you get a thick paste.
- Preheat your oven to 375F.
- Juice and zest your oranges and transfer to a bowl.
- Add the rest of your wet ingredients and whisk thoroughly until the sugar dissolves.
- Slowly add your dry ingredients (make sure you have them already combined in a bowl), and whisk until you get a homogenous batter.
- Transfer your muffin batter into either a non-stick muffin pan or a muffin pan already lined with muffin cups. If you fill your cups all the way up, you will end up with big muffins, if you fill 3/4 of the way, you will end up with smaller muffins, and therefore more of them.
- Using a teaspoon, add your cranberry jam on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Don't overcook as they will dry out.
- Take out of the oven and let them completely cool before you remove them from the pan.
When things say “no sugar” I immediately click in, not gonna lie.
Hi Paige !
That is how we roll 😉
No sugar and they look that yummilicious. Totes pinning for later, thanks for sharing!
Awesome ! Enjoy
chloe | boxwood avenue
I love that these are no sugar added! A great healthy recipe!
I’m glad to hear that ! Thanks Chloe
Sarah @ Sarah's Bake Studio
I love the cranberry-orange combination; that sounds lovely. I am always looking for a good muffin recipe and this one looks great! Pinned!
It is truly a great combination. Glad you enjoyed the post !
These look delicious! I love the flavor combo of oranges and cranberries. Pinning!