Vegan-friendly. Are you ready for a quintessential fall lunch or diner recipe? It is here! Instant pot soup recipe coming in hot: butternut squash edition. We provide step-by-step instructions so you’ll find it easy to follow. Be sure to let us know if you make it!
HOW TO MAKE BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP IN AN INSTANT POT
First, prepare your ingredients. You’ll need:
Butternut Squash: one small-to-medium squash. Peeled and chopped into one inch cubes. You can substitute with other similar squash, like buttercup or acorn squash.
Potatoes: preferably yellow potatoes for this recipe for the texture and taste, however other potatoes would do fine in a pinch. It may alter the consistency, but not enough that you’d want to skip making the recipe. Peeled and chopped into one-inch cubes.
Carrots: any color, peeled and chopped into one-inch cubes.
An onion: of preference red, for the sweetness, but any onion will do. Chopped.
Oil: We used olive oil, if you have another preference, feel free.
Spices: garam masala, turmeric, salt + pepper.
Broth: We love using chicken broth, however, if you want to keep the recipe vegan, use any vegetable broth.
Once you have all your ingredients prepped, set your instant pot to Sauté mode, coat with olive oil, and throw in your chopped onions. After a few minutes, you’ll add in the rest of the ingredients and switch the instant pot to Soup or set it for 30 minutes on normal pressure.
To top our soup, we used Crispy Chickpeas.
MAKING CRISPY CHICKPEAS
Rinse the canned chickpeas, drain them well, toss them in spices and olive oil and bake at 400F on a baking sheet in the oven. As simple as that. These crispy chickpeas are great as a snack, as a topping on soup, or in salad! They can be conserved in the fridge, however they’re so quick and easy to make that you can make them fresh any time!
Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup
- Set your instant pot to saute and add in your olive oil. After olive oil is warmed up, add your onions and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Add in your chopped veggies, spices and cover completely with broth. Close your instant pot and set to 30 minutes on normal pressure. Or soup mode if you have one.
- Drain your chickpeas and season with olive oil, chili flakes, salt and turmeric. Bake in the oven @400F for 10-15 minutes or until the chickpeas get crispy. Set aside.
- After time has expired, carefully quick release the steam. Using an immersion blender, blend your soup until completely smooth.
- Serve in a bowl. Garnish with chickpeas and a drizzle of coconut milk, or heavy cream.