It’s Sunday morning and if you know me a little by now you know exactly what that means – pancakes – lime coconut pancakes to be more accurate.
Like almost every other North-American food, I discovered pancakes after I arrived to Canada.
Every body was talking about how they enjoy them in the morning, with some awesome local maple syrup. I had to try it and see what the heck is this all about.
I wish I could tell you that it was mind blowing the first time I tried pancakes. I can’t. They were an utter disappointment. Why ? Well it’s pretty simple. Those were some shitty, shitty, pancakes.
However, since then I understood the idea behind the dish and I could already see that if made properly, pancakes could be mind-blowing.
I started doing research and adopted few tricks that I learned here and there, to make pancakes exactly the way they are supposed to be :
- Delicious, of course
Pancakes do not, I repeat – do not – have to be drowned in syrup for them to be yummy; their flavor should stand on its own. Anything you add afterwards should to complement the pancake, not to make it edible afterwards.
Of course you are more than encouraged to add some awesome maple syrup on top !
Lime and coconut is an obviously awesome combination, especially in summer. These are even vegan friendly since the only animal product you need here is eggs and those can be easily replaced by a flax egg.
However, If you don’t know how to make a flax egg, send me a message or leave a comment below I will make sure to make a quick post and show you how to make it !
Let me show you what I’m talking about here when I say “fluffiness”.
Exhibit B : Lightness meets fluffiness
Since we are also all about reducing our sugar intake around here, I have only used a couple of tablespoons of organic coconut sugar for the batter, which makes about 16 pancakes. Without compromising on flavor. Not bad eh ? #GoCanada
You like what you read ? Pin this and make it later !
I sincerely hope that you will enjoy this recipe and that you’ll make it for your friends and loved ones. Tweet us your pancakes and don’t forget to leave us a comment.
Enjoy and have great Sunday !
Lime Coconut Pancakes
- 2 Cups of unbleached all purpose flour.
- 1 Can of Coconut milk.
- 2 Large organic free range eggs.
- 2 Tbsp of organic coconut sugar. You can use brown sugar if you want but organic coconut sugar is a much healthier option.
- Juice and Zest from one lime preferably organic. If not make sure you wash it thoroughly to minimize your exposure to pesticide.
- 1 Tbsp of Baking powder.
- 1 Tsp of baking soda.
- 1 pinch of salt
- As always start by putting your dry ingredients (baking soda, baking powder, salt and flour) in one bowl and mix them.
- Separate your egg yolks from the whites. Now emulsify your yolks, which means just beating them to create a lot of air. We're not trying to make a meringue here, so do it for only 1 to 2 minutes max. You should get a foamy consistency.
- Beat the yolks and sugar separately (I know 3 bowls, don't get upset think of your pancakes !).
- Now Add your coconut milk and lime juice and zest to the white and mix.
- Once that's done add your yolks to the white mixture and mix again. Now its just a matter of adding your dry ingredients in and mixing.
- All you have to do now is to warm up a non stick pan and rub it with a little butter, be careful not to burn yourself.
- Scoop your pancakes in and make sure you don't over crowd the pan, remember your gonna have to flip them and you are gonna need a little space for that.
- Cook your pancake for 1 to 2 minutes on medium high and flip then cook for another 30 seconds. They should be golden brown.
- Serve warm with some coconut shreds and maple syrup and enjoy !