How is it going ketoers? You still holding up? Do you find yourself thinking or feeling that you need a little pick me up? You know, to help you stay focused and on top of your incredible weight loss? Well you are in luck my friend, because today’s pick me up is a literal pick me up, it’s a Keto Tiramisu that will make you forget about the old sugary stuff.
Seriously, Tiramisu literally translates to pick me up. Don’t you just love Italians?
Super Easy Keto Tiramisu
I know it might sound hard to believe, probably for good reason. What kind of Tiramisu can be low-carb and taste good? I don’t blame you.
I have failed at this a handful of times before I finally figured out which sweeteners are suitable for this dessert and most importantly how to replace the delicious Italian Lady finger cookies.
The answer was starring at me in the face, it was ridiculous. Almond Cake, in a mug, cooked in a microwave for 90 seconds.
Problem solved. I know, I could not believe it either.
How to make the Tiramisu cream:
Here is the thing, the creamy part of the tiramisu is the easy part really. All you have to do is substitute sugar for erythritol (in my case I used Truvia, which is a mix of stevia and erythritol) and you’re good to go.
Here is what your creamy filling is going to be made out of.
- Heavy Whipping Cream.
- Full Fat Cream Cheese.
- Sweetener. (You can use Truvia , Pure Erythritol or Monk Fruit Extract)
- Vanilla extract.
And that’s pretty much that.
I know what you’re thinking: “no Mascarpone, what kind of Tiramisu is this?”
Mascarpone is just Italian overpriced cream cheese. To keep the cost down, because remember that we make affordable recipes, we chose cream cheese. Here is the thing though, and I like cream cheese better than Mascarpone.
Hear me out. Cream Cheese gives a much richer consistency to a Tiramisu and improves the texture and flavour of it.
Those are not even my words, rather the words of the Italian folks of passed this recipe down to me.
I had to modify it of course and remove some things that I just didn’t feel belonged in there, like raw eggs.
Some Tiramisu FAQs:
How much alcohol do I put in my Tiramisu? One shot is good, you don’t want to over do it. My alcohol of choice here is Rum.
I made too much, Can Tiramisu be frozen? Yup, it can keep for at least one month in your freezer.
Will Tiramisu keep me awake? I doubt it, with all the fat you’re going to get from it, not to mention the fact that the entire dessert has one shot of espresso, you’re probably going to need to take a nap after this.
How long does my Tiramisu need to set before I serve it? For about 2 hours in the fridge.
To make the creamy filling
For the Mug Cake
To make the coffee & liquor mixture
- 1 shot espresso
- 1 shot rum
Some cocoa powder to garnish
- Start by making your coffee mixture. Mix your espresso and rum together and place in the fridge for the mixture to get cold.
- Now you need to make your mug cake, mix all ingredients together in a mug and microwave on high for 90 seconds. Take your cake out of the mug and let it cool down for 5 minutes. Slice your cake into 4 equal pieces and place them on a cooling rack to let them completely cool down.
- On to the cream now. In a bowl, combine cream cheese, vanilla extract and erythritol. Using an electric hand mixer, combine all ingredients together until your sweetener has completely dissolved in the cream cheese and the texture of it is very smooth and creamy.
- In a separate bowl, pour heavy whipping cream and whisk on high speed until medium to stiff peaks form, about 1 minute. Do not over beat.
- Now add your whipped cream into the cheese mixture and whisk on low speed until the cream cheese is well incorporated into the cream. This should take 45 seconds to 1 minute.
- Take your coffee mixture out of the fridge and dip your sliced almond cake into it. Make sure your cake is completely soaked. Now place one cake slice at the bottom of a cup/mug you're going to use to serve and scoop in 2 table spoons of the cream filling. Repeat this step one more time to finish building up your tiramisu cup. Drizzle some unsweetened cocoa powder on top of your dessert. Repeat the same steps for the second cup.
- For best results, refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.
I hope you enjoyed this recipe, if you would like to be notified every time a Keto recipe is available, sign up right here 🙂