Today is dessert day, as promised. Which dessert you ask? Well, pie I say! Because I don’t like cleaning my tart pans, and also, because I have never made a galette before for you, I decided that best use for my Keto Pie Crust is to make Keto Strawberry & Almond Butter Galettes.
It was a good decision, if I say so myself.
Keto Strawberry & Almond Butter Galettes
I’ll be very honest with you, not only that this is first time I have ever made a galette for this blog, but also the first time I made a galette period, or used the flavour combo of Strawberries and Almond Butter.
Somehow it made sense to me.
Since this is a Keto pie, almond butter was the perfect choice for a thickener.
Why do I need a thickener in my filling? Can’t I just put my berries in there? Berries are full of water, and when they cook, that water tends to come out of them. Which is why, in most pie recipes, you will find cornstarch to be an ingredient used in the pie filling. Cornstarch absorbs all the moisture that comes out of the fruits and makes your pie filling rich and creamy instead of watery.
That’s exactly what almond butter does in this recipe. Plus, it tastes great.
Can I use peanut butter or any other type of nut butter? I would not recommend using peanut butter as it has a strong taste and will over power the subtle flavours of your galette. If you have to substitute it, I would recommend using cashew butter.
Folding technique for the pie crust.
The pie crust recipe used in this recipe is a very delicate crust, just like a pate brisee can be. Now to make sure that you get the best result possible follow these tips and you will make a great keto galette.
- You must let your pie crust chill in the fridge for at least an hour. The pie crust needs to be cold, so that the butter in it acts as an effective binding agent.
- Touch with your hands as little as you can. Your hands are warm, and will bring the temperature of the pie crust up.
- My favourite tip: Place your pie crust between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and flatten. To avoid having a lot of cracks on it, push it down using a heavy pan or a chopping board. Then take your rolling pin out and gently roll to 1/4″ thickness.
- When you are going to be folding your pie crust to form your galette, some of it is going to break, I guarantee you that. Don’t panic, you can easily patch it up like silly putty. Once the pie crust bakes, it will be a lot more firm.
- Finally, and this really comes down to preference, if you want to make sure that your pie crust is more firm, chill your galette before serving to allow the butter to do it’s job. I personally like them at room temp, as you can see on the photo below, it’s firm enough to handle. For me a perfect pie crust, has to be both firm and crumbly, this way I don’t have to fight it with my fork.
The topping I used for the pie is pretty straight forward: 1/2 Cup of whipped cream, zest of one lemon and 1 tsp of erythritol.
Keto Galette Recipe.
Keto Strawberry & Almond Butter Galettes
- Preheat your oven at 375F.
- In a bowl, mix your your strawberries, almond butter, lemon juice and erythritol. Set aside
- Take your chilled pie crust out of the fridge and cut into 8 pieces. Roll your pieces into balls. Take one ball and place it between 2 sheets of plastic wrap. Gently flatten using the palm of your hand then place a flat object on top (like a pan, or cutting board) and press it down until you get to 1/4" thickness. This might sound silly, but it's the perfect way to make sure that you get a round pie crust.
- Remove the top plastic wrap sheet. Take one Tbsp of filling an scatter it on top of your pie crust leaving enough room on the edge to fold the pie crust.
- To make sure you're able to fold your pie crust, use the plastic wrap that it is sitting on. Bring the 4 corners of wrap gently together and carefully fold the sides of your galette. If your crust breaks a little, don't panic, just patch it gently with your hands until your galette is fully formed.
- Now using a spatula, transfer your galette to a parchemin paper covered baking sheet.
- Repeat until you have no leftover dough. Gently brush the sides of your pastry with your egg wash and Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Take out of the oven and let them cool down for 15 minutes or more before serving. The cooler they are, the better.
- Serve with a dollop of whipped cream and enjoy.
If you want to make it a little easier on yourself, you can make 4 bigger galettes to share. If you want to make things even easier, then instead of making galettes, you can use tart shells and press the dough down into your shells to make strawberry tarts. Your call.