So this recipe has been on my to-do list for a while now. And by “a while” I mean a few months. I can’t tell you why I am only publishing it now, mostly because I don’t know, but I am glad it is happening right now. Panna Cotta is a great little summer dessert. In fact, it is one of the best summer desserts you will ever try.
I dare you to challenge me on that.
What makes Panna Cotta so great is undoubtedly its texture. It’s like a custard that has been frozen in time, at the peak of its beauty.
Just like most Italian delicacies, Panna cotta is simple to make, requires only a few ingredients and is a joy to eat.
I chose to top it with a homemade strawberry jam, because I can do whatever. But you can essentially top it with whatever your heart desires, because guess what? You too can do whatever.
Fun Facts about Panna Cotta
Panna Cotta literally translates to cooked cream.
It’s a traditional Northern-Italian dessert from the Piedmont
The first mentions of it in Italian cookbooks were in the 1960s. Although it is believed that this Italian delicacy has some English roots. Look up “latte inglese” on Google if you’re curious.
You can infuse Panna Cotta with lots of different flavours. I tried a coffee infusion once and it was awesome. I encourage you to experiment with it.
All the cooking that is required to make Panna Cotta is essentially to dissolve your sweetener along with the gelatin.
How To Make Keto Panna Cotta
Panna Cotta is a very simple dessert to make. All you need is some cream, milk, sweetener, vanilla and gelatine. That last ingredient is quite important since it allows the Panna Cotta to set and get to that awesome texture we all love.
In three easy steps:
- Start by dissolving 1 packet of gelatine in 1/3 cup of milk. You can use almond milk too.
- Bring your 2 1/2 of cream to a boil. Remove from the heat, and add your sweetener (I used Swerve) along with your vanilla extract. Pour your milk into your cream and mix.
- Pour your mixture onto 6 ramekins. Let them chill uncovered at room temp. Once cooled-down, refrigerate over night.
That’s all there is to it.
As far as making your Keto strawberry jam, all you’re going to need is:
1 cup of frozen halved strawberries + 2 tsp of swerve
All you need to do is cook your berries along with your sweetener on medium-low heat for about 15 minutes or until it reaches your preferred consistency.
If strawberries are not your thing, you can try the same method with any kind of berries you prefer. Heck, it doesn’t have to be berries, you can use any kind of fruit you like. Peaches wink wink.
My point is, this is the basic dessert, try it out and once your confident, make it anyway you prefer.
And if you like it, don’t forget to leave us a comment and perhaps a rating? We really appreciate it and it helps other people find this recipe.
Have a great Day!
Keto Panna Cotta
- Pour milk into a measuring cup, and stir in the gelatin powder. Set aside.
- In a non-stick pan, stir together the heavy cream and Swerve's Granular Sugar, and bring to a boil over medium heat. Watch your pan carefully as your cream will rise very quickly to the top.
- Add the gelatin and milk into the cream. Cook for one more minute, while constantly stirring. Remove from heat, and pour into six individual ramekin dishes.
- Cool the ramekins uncovered at room temp, then cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight before serving.