Cream of mushroom soup was an absolute favourite of mine for a few years in childhood.
Anyone else? Now the love is rekindled because I am on a serious mushroom kick.
You guys don’t even know how much I love mushrooms. We buy sometimes 4 pints at a time, and I will just go ham-sammich on them for breakfast.
Personally, I prefer my keto cream of mushroom soup with itty bitty mushroom chunks, fully cooked through, but this soup is a bit different, it’s chunky cream of mushroom.
Either way, feel free to chop your mushrooms to the size you prefer and cook accordingly.
Did you know that mushrooms are super healthy for you? Sure in the macronutrient department they fall a bit flat, but look into the micronutrient content of mushrooms and I promise you will be pleasantly surprised.
Mushrooms contain a whole bunch of minerals, antioxidants, B vitamins, and are one of the highest sources of vitamin D from veggies (yes, even though mushrooms are fungi).
Those B vitamins help you feel energized by helping with digestion and nutrient absorption, as well as red blood cell production. Mushrooms help you feel satiated, they help with reducing inflammation, they can be a great food to add for fibre intake.
I strongly implore you to look into it to see just how these wee little fungi would be a great addition to your keto diet (and simply any diet, really).
Keto Cream of mushroom soup is so unbelievably easy to make. Have you ever tried?
There are tons of variations and ways to cook it to fit your specific needs.
We made it with butter and cream, but it can be made with coconut oil and milk (if you love that coconut taste) and a meat bouillon (always organic, of course) to get that earthy taste.
You can also overdose the mushroom content if you’re a mushroom addict like me.
Recipe here calls for 1 pint of white mushrooms in here but you can go as far as 3, chopped in itty bitty pieces, for a super earthy tasting and chunky keto cream of mushroom soup.
Why make a keto cream of mushroom soup?
Because it takes so little time to make, feels aaaahhh-mazing on a chilly Fall day and to get all the benefits from the mushrooms, of course!
Its high on fat, very low on carbs, and therefore is perfect for anyone on the keto diet. I like to think of it as the yummiest keto flu repellant.
Check them out!
Keto Cream of Mushroom
Optional Toppings : Crispy Bacon Bits or some grated Smoked Cheddar.
- Chop onions, set aside. Chop mushrooms in 1 cm pieces and warm a medium-sized pot on medium-high heat.
- Add the coconut oil and butter to the pot and once the butter melts, add in the onions. Cook for approximately 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. The onions at this point should start to brown on the edges, if so, add 1/4 cup water and stir, if not, continue cooking until starting to brown and then add the water. This helps with the caramelization process. After adding the water, cook the onions for an additional 3 minutes as the water evaporates. The onions should be visibly translucent with some browning too.
- Add the chopped mushrooms and stir, cook for about 7 minutes and add 2 pinches of salt to help bring the water out of the mushrooms.
- Once the mushrooms are cooked, add 2 cups of coconut milk, the 1/2 cup of milk and the xanthan gum.
- Let the soup come to a simmer and then lower the heat to medium-low and add all of your spices. Continuously and carefully stir in an 8 shape to avoid a film from forming. After about 15 minutes, your soup is ready! Taste and add more salt and pepper to your liking.
- Serve and enjoy!