If you ever had chicken tikka masala before, you know that it’s a dish that you will not be forgetting about anytime soon. It’s creamy, spicy, savoury and it just stimulates your senses like no other curry you’ve ever had before.
The good news is, Chicken Tikka Masala is pretty much already a low-carb dish and it needs only a few tweaks to make it keto compliant.
Keto Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe
What makes this Chicken Tikka Masala Keto friendly? Many things. First of all, it’s not served with naan, but rather with cauliflower rice. But if you want to know exactly what makes it different, read this:
- It’s made using deboned, skinless chicken thighs which are much higher in fat, therefore flavour.
- The chicken marinade is made using sour cream rather than yogurt, which again means, more fat & less carbs.
- It’s served with cauliflower rice, rather than basmati rice or naan.
How good is that honestly? Indulge, while you remain in ketosis. That’s my jam.
How to Make Keto Chicken Tikka Masala.
This is a complex dish, but it is a very easy one. There are 2 main things you need to do when making it, if you do them well, you will not be able to mess this up. I promise you that.
- Step 1 Marinate your chicken: Cut your chicken into roughly equal size pieces, add your sour cream, lemon juice & zest and your spice blend. Mix all of it thoroughly and bake in the oven until your chicken is completely cooked through.
- Step2 Make your sauce: Cook your onions and ginger along with the spices & seeds. Add your coconut milk and tomato paste. Cook your sauce down on low heat until it starts to thicken and add your cooked chicken to it at the end.
If you’re a visual person, maybe this will help:
To the recipe now!
Keto Chicken Tikka Masala
For the chicken
- 1 lbs chicken thighs boneless & skinless
- 2 tbsp sour cream full fat
- 1 tbsp lemon juice & zest
- 1 clove of garlic crushed or minced
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- Salt and pepper.
For the sauce
- Preheat your oven to 400 F (200 C)
- Cut your chicken thighs into roughly equal pieces and transfer to a large bowl. Add to it your spices, sour cream, lemon juice, zest and garlic. Mix everything thoroughly until the chicken is perfectly coated. It is recommended that you let your chicken marinate for at least 1 hour before baking (or grilling)
- Transfer your chicken into a baking sheet. Bake in your oven for 20 minutes. If it is sunny where you live, it is highly recommended that you grill your chicken on the BBQ.
- While your chicken is baking, grab a large skillet large and warm up on medium heat. Melt your ghee in it and add to it your chopped onion, ginger, coriander seeds, mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Cook for 5 minutes and add your coconut milk and the rest of the spices (paprika, curry powder, ground cardamom pods, garam masala, salt and pepper).
- Stir your sauce until your spices are combined and add your tomato paste. Stir again. Lower the heat and let it simmer for 15 minutes (or until the sauce thickens).
- By now your chicken should be cooked. Remove from the oven and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Add your chicken to the sauce and gently stir. Turn off the heat and let it cook for 5 minutes in the residual heat.
- Serve with some Cauliflower rice.
If you liked this recipe, why don’t you share it! And if you’re a fan of keto recipes, we got you covered, sign up for our keto newsletter and we will notify you by email each time there is a new recipe out.