If you ever had chicken tikka masala before, you know that it’s a dish that you will not be forgetting about anytime soon. It’s creamy, spicy, savoury and it just stimulates your senses like no other curry you’ve ever had before. As I approach the end of my 1 month Keto challenge, I wanted to share with you my new favourite way to make it, and to eat it. This is my Keto Chicken Tikka Masala.
Now that I think about it, I’m going to do another month on Keto. Just for food like this.
Keto Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe
What makes this Chicken Tikka Masala Keto friendly? Many things. First of all, it’s not served with naan, but rather with cauliflower rice. But if you want to know exactly what makes it different, read this:
- It’s made using deboned, skinless chicken thighs which are much higher in fat, therefore flavour.
- The chicken marinade is made using sour cream rather than yogurt, which again means, more fat & less protein.
- It’s served with cauliflower rice, rather than basmati or naan.
- A serving of this, hits the keto targets perfectly: 70% Fat, 20% Protein and 10% Carbs.
How good is that honestly? Indulge, while you remain in ketosis. That’s my jam.
How to Make Chicken Tikka Masala.
This is a complex dish, but it is a very easy one. There are 2 main things you need to do when making it, if you do them well, you will not be able to mess this up. I promise you that.
- Step 1: Marinate your chicken. Cut your chicken into roughly equal size pieces, add your sour cream, lemon juice & zest and your spice blend. Mix all of it thoroughly and bake in the oven until your chicken is completely cooked through.
- Step2: Make your sauce. Cook your onions and ginger along with the spices & seeds. Add your heavy cream and tomato paste. Cook your sauce down on low heat until it starts to thicken and add your cooked chicken to it at the end.
It’s that easy and the result will blow your mind.
To the recipe now!
Keto Chicken Tikka Masala
If you are looking keto recipes for dinner, or meal prep, look no further, this is the dish to make!
For the chicken
- 2 lbs chicken thighs boneless & skinless
- 2 tbsp sour cream full fat
- 1 tbsp lemon juice & zest
- 1 clove of garlic crushed or minced
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- Salt and pepper.
For the sauce
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp ground cardamom pods
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp Ghee you can substitute with butter
- 2 cups heavy cream you can sub with coconut cream
- 2 tbsp Tomato paste
- 1 Medium Onion finely chopped
- 1 thumb size piece of ginger finely chopped
- Salt & pepper to taste
Preheat your oven to 400 F (200 C)
Cut your chicken thighs into roughly equal pieces and transfer to a large bowl. Add to it your spices, sour cream, lemon juice, zest and garlic. Mix everything thoroughly until the chicken is perfectly coated. Transfer your chicken into a baking sheet. Bake in your oven for 25 minutes.
While your chicken is baking, grab a large pot and heat on medium heat. Melt your ghee in it and add to it your chopped onion, ginger, coriander seeds, mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Cook for 5 minutes and add your heavy cream and the rest of the spices (paprika, curry powder, ground cardamom pods, garam masala, salt and pepper).
Stir your sauce until your spices are combined and add your tomato paste. Stir again. Lower the heat and let it simmer for 15 minutes (or until the sauce thickens).
By now your chicken should be cooked. Remove from the oven and let it sit for 5 minutes.
Add your chicken to the sauce and gently stir. Turn off the heat and let it cook for 5 minutes in the residual heat.
Serve with some Cauliflower rice.
Macros per serving (Makes 6):
- Fat : 44 g
- Protein: 36g
- Net Carbs: 5g
If you liked this recipe, why don’t you share it! And if you’re a fan of keto recipes, we got you covered, sign up for our keto newsletter and we will notify you by email each time there is a new recipe out.
Endlessly curious hipster
Vegan dabbler (I try !)
Latest posts by Idriss (see all)
- Whole30 Fluffy Pancakes | Gluten-free & Dairy Free - August 10, 2018
- Keto Pho | Vietnamese Style Noodle Soup - August 7, 2018
- Cajun-Style Grilled Chicken | Keto Dinner Recipe - August 1, 2018