This is it friends. The end to my struggle to finding a keto alternative to French fries. I can’t tell you how many times I made cheeseburger sliders and found myself missing a little something-something on the side. Little did I know that that something will turn out to be Avocado Fries.
Crispy, creamy, velvety avocado fries.
The perfect Keto Snack
Avocado fries have the makings of a perfect Ketogenic snack. It’s very simple to see why.
Avocados are loaded with healthy fats and are very high in fiber which in turn makes them low on net carbohydrates. They are also low on protein, which is great if you are following a strict keto diet.
This is a snack that will keep you in ketosis.
That’s great, right? Maybe …
I don’t know about you, but “keep you in ketosis” is not really a great selling point. A pint of coconut oil will keep you in ketosis too.
The major selling point of Avocado fries is their texture and their taste. They are quite a bit different than French-fries, but they do have 2 properties that are essential to any respectable fried food:
- Crispy outside
- Soft & creamy inside
Answers to Important Questions:
Do I need to use Psyllium husk to make Avocado fries? Yes. A friend asked me if he use can coconut flour and I said no. Coconut flour will burn when fried and will not get crispy.
Can I make avocado fries in my air-fryer? Totally.
Can I bake my avocado fries? Yes, all you have to do is spray them with some cooking oil and cook at 450F until golden brown.
If you have any more questions, please leave me a comment and I will make sure to get back to you asap.
Crispy Avocado Fries
- 1 large avocado
- 1 large egg lightly beaten with 1 tbsp water
- 1/4 cup psyllium husk
- 1/2 cup avocado oil to fry
- Cut your avocado open, remove the pit and using a large spoon, scoop out your avocado flesh. Using a knife, cut your avocado halves into 4-5 strips. Take one strip, roll into psyllium husk, dip it in your egg wash and roll it in psyllium husk again. Repeat until all your avocado strips are "breaded"
- Place your avocado oil in a small sauce pan. Heat the pan on high heat and place your avocado strip in. Fry for 1-2 minutes then flip and let them fry for another 1 minute. Place your avocado fries in top of paper towel to soak up some of the excess oil.
- Season with salt or with your favourite spice blend. Serve with some homemade mayo and enjoy!