Hey there awesome people ! It’s Idriss ze french cook. I’m not french. I love the accent though and of course the food. So today I have prepared for you one of my all time favourites and as usual, I have put my own twist on it to make it easier, healthier and less posh. Ladies and gents, get excited for my Vegan Dauphinoise !
Get excited, come on !
I remember as a kid that my mom used to make this and it was sort of a gateway to french cuisine for me. Have I mentioned that as a kid, I was a big potato eater ? You are probably thinking right now ” So am I, what the big deal ? “.
I used to eat far more potatoes than the average person. In fact, when I moved to Montréal my mom noticed that she can cut off her veggie bill significantly (Yeah she goes to the farmer’s market to buy her veggies) since I don’t live with them anymore. Yes, that’s how much I loved potatoes as a kid.
Now Imagine me as a kid tasting this for the first time.
This is a dish that is really centered around this humble ingredient. A dauphinoise is a tribute to each and ever potato that participates in building it. So as a kid, this was definitely in my top 5 favourite dishes.
An original dauphinoise calls for lots of cream and cheese to give it that classic texture that we all love. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a fan of cheese and cream but I try to have more of a casual relationship with those two rather than a serious everyday commitment type of deal.
And that is why I came up with this recipe. True story.
You know what’s the best thing about this, I served a slice of this awesome vegan dauphinoise to my girlfriend and she didn’t even know that the cream and cheese were missing.
Just look at that ! Hard to believe it doesn’t have any dairy or animal products.
Here is why I love this recipe:
- It’s vegan ! Anybody can enjoy it. From lactose intolerants to people trying to make healthy choices.
- It has both nutritional yeast and turmeric. Two awesome super-foods. Turmeric has cancer-fighting properties, enough said.
- It’s creamy, delicious and super fast. I made this while I was shooting and prepping another recipe. That’s how little effort it requires.
You like this vegan dauphinoise? Pin this and make it later !
So what are you waiting for ? Get your mandoline, potatoes, and onions and get cooking. Serve this and become a hero to your vegan friends and possibly a villain to your carnivore buddies. They don’t have to know though, it’ll be a good for them to finally eat some fiber.
Have fun, enjoy cooking this and of course eating it ! Don’t hesitate to leave us a comment below and of course, don’t forget to subscribe 😉
Creamy Vegan Dauphinoise
- 4 Large potatoes.
- 1 Large onion.
- 1 Can of coconut milk.
- 2 Tbsp of nutritional yeast.
- 1 Tsp of turmeric.
- 2 Tbsp of cornstarch.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat your oven at 400F.
- Using a mandoline or a food processor slice thinly your potatoes and onions. Make sure your slices are thin, this way you make sure they cook fast.
- Add your coconut milk, nutritional yeast, turmeric, salt, pepper and cornstarch to your potatoes and onions and mix.
- Place your mixture in a pan and make sure it's evenly distributed.
This is super important to ensure that it cooks evenly.
- Once that's done, sprinkle some salt on top and pepper. As you see on the photo I went heavy on the pepper. That's a personal choice. I love pepper.
- Sprinkle some bread crumbs on top to ensure that you have that awesome crispy top.
- Bake for 35 or until golden brown.
- Take out of the oven. Then let cool, cut and serve.
- Enjoy !
Endlessly curious hipster
Vegan dabbler (I try !)