How’s it going friends?
We are spoiled here in Montreal. The weather is simply fantastic and to make matters even better, I thought it would be good to share with you my Cold Brew Coffee Recipe.
Not to worry, this is as easy as it gets. And if you’re often on the go, like yours truly, you might find yourself liking this much better than your goodol’ cup of joe.
What is Cold Brew Coffee?
Cold brew coffee is the technique of extracting coffee without the use of hot water. It is usually made from coarsely ground beans that are usually soaked for 12-24 hrs.
Once the extraction process is finished, the coffee is filtered through a cheese cloth.
This amazing drink is usually poured on top of ice cubes and served with a splash of cream or milk.
This is what it looks like.
Iced coffee vs Cold Brew Coffee: While a lot of places serve Iced coffee, which is just the action of adding ice cubes to regular coffee, it is not to be confused with a classic Cold Brew Coffee. The latter is far superior in taste and in quality. It’s not even a contest.
What makes Cold Brew Coffee So Good?
Besides the obvious fact that during the summer cold drinks are just better than hot ones. In my humble opinion, it is better because of the following reasons
- It’s convenient. Cold Brew Coffee is in my mind far more convenient than regular coffee. I usually make a big batch over the weekend, which takes me literally a few minutes to do, and I have coffee for the entire week. The entire week!
- It’s healthier. You might not know this, or maybe you do, but cold brew coffee is over 50% less acidic than hot brewed coffee. This is due to the simple fact that acids are usually extracted over high temperatures. Less acidity means less chances of getting your digestive system irritated. Bingo 😉
- Last but not least, the taste. With all that acidity out of the way, what is left in your cup is a cold, crisp & super smooth cup of coffee. I insist on that last part, smooooooth.
Will Cold Brew Coffee Break your Fast?
You know, I have often asked myself that, and according to people far more qualified than me, any kind of drink/food that triggers a metabolic reaction will break your fast. That includes coffee.
Coffee, even black coffee, contains caffeine which needs to be metabolized by your system.
For more information on this, I strongly advise you to visit Dr. Rhonda Patrick’s Blog. She’s one the most knowledgeable people out there and will answer your question far better than I ever will.
How long Does Cold Brew Coffee Last?
Cold Brew Coffee will last in your fridge for 2 weeks, maybe more. If you plan on making it in big batches, makes sure that you let the beans soak for no longer than 24 hours. Once filtered, you can store it in your fridge for a couple weeks.
How to make Cold Brew Coffee?
Here is the recipe 😉
Cold Brew Coffee Recipe
This refreshing coffee is made using a classic cold brew technique and made to fit within your low-carb/Keto lifestyle.
- 3/4 Cup coarsely ground coffee beans
- 4-5 Cups cold water the dosage depends on how strong you like your coffee. I used 4 cups of water in mine.
Keto friendly add-ons
- MCT Oil refer to link below
- Collagen peptides refer to link below
- Whipped cream You can top your coffee with it. It's delicious.
- Stevia or Erythritol If you fancy a little sweeteness in your coffee
In a large mason jar, combine coffee grounds and water. Close the lid on your jar and store in the fridge for 12 to 24 hours.
Securely place a piece cheesecloth on top of a large mason jar (or any topperware you prefer) and slowly pour your coffee over it. Let your coffee completely drip-through before you remove your cheesecloth.
Your coffee is now ready. You can serve your cold coffee with ice cubes and a splash of cream or you can blend it with some ice cubes, MCT oil and 1 tsp of sugar-free sweetener.
Collagen Peptides (Unflavoured) are loaded with health benefits and won’t compromise the taste of your smoothie. TIP: Dissolve in room temp water first before adding to your smoothie.
Endlessly curious hipster
Vegan dabbler (I try !)
Latest posts by Idriss (see all)
- Keto Chicken Nuggets - August 30, 2018
- 14 Stunning Vegan Dessert Bars - August 21, 2018
- Whole30 Fluffy Pancakes | Gluten-free & Dairy Free - August 10, 2018