Heya awesome foodies, thank you for tuning in again for another great Fall dessert recipe right here on Brokefoodies.com. Today we bring you a simple, yet mind-blowing treat in the form of Apple Caramel Blondies.
Yup, it’s as good as it sounds.
Initially, I wanted to make these into simple caramel blondies. Since I had apples sitting on my counter, staring at me, begging to be part of this great endeavor…
Naturally, I obliged them.
Let me tell you, beggar apples know what’s up.
While apples bake, they release slowly their juices and flavor into the batter. This makes it super moist and super yummy. Don’t believe me? Apple sauce is a good replacement for oil in some baking recipes! That’s how moist apples get.
So, once you bite into one of these, what you get is the taste of apple, cinnamon and the sweet nectar and brain buzz of caramel.
So, the technique here is pretty straightforward, as you are making a blondie (vanilla brownie), you will need to skip all rising agents such as: baking soda and baking powder.
Next, in order to avoid having blondies that are just too dense to appreciate, you need to follow this exact formula.
- Cream your butter with the sugar that you are using until you get a light fluffy mixture.
- Add your eggs and whip them into the mixture using a hand mixer (or stand mixer)
The second step is crucial as it incorporates lots of air into your batter which makes a fantastic blondie.
Am I saying blondie too much?
Blondie, blondie, blondie.
Anyway, without further ado, here is the recipe.
Apple Caramel Blondies
- 1 Large apple peeled and sliced.
- 2 Large eggs.
- Vegan Replace with 2 flax eggs.
- 1 Tsp of pure vanilla extract.
- 1/2 cup of butter at room temp.
- Vegan Replace with vegan butter. Earth Balance is usually my go to.
- 1/2 Cup of brown sugar.
- 1 Tbsp of yogurt.
- Vegan I usually sub with coconut yogurt.
- 1 Cup of flour.
- 1 Tsp of cinnamon.
- 1/2 Cup of brown sugar
- 1/4 Cup of butter.
- Vegan 1/4 Cup of vegan butter.
- 1 & 1/2 Tbsp of Milk
- Vegan 1 & 1/2 Unsweetened Almond milk
Start by making your caramel.
- Bring brown sugar, butter, and milk to a gentle boil and cook until thickened, This should not take more than 4 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preaheat your oven to 375F.
- In a bowl, mix your softened butter and sugar until you get a creamy and airy mixture. Add your eggs (flax eggs), vanilla extract and, yogurt . Mix again until fully incorporated. You can do this using either a hand mixer, stand mixer or a wooden spatula if you feel up for it.
- Add your flour and cinnamon. Using a wooden spatula this time fold in your flour gently to avoid making a mess, do this until the flour is incorporated in the wet mixture. Now switch to your hand mixer beat your batter for about 1 minute on high-speed.
- Place some parchemin paper in an 8x8 brownie pan and spread your batter in it. Make sure it's spread evenly. Now Take your apple slices and place them on top of your batter. Make sure you cover most of your batter. As your apple slices bake, they will keep your blondies soft and moist.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Take out of the oven, let them chill for 10 minutes. Take some of that awesome caramel you made earlier and drizzle on top.
- Cut, serve and enjoy.
Recipe NotesYou will probably end up with left over caramel. To store just transfer to a mason jar, or topperware and keep at room temp.
If you like this recipe, check out this pumpkin spice blondie!
Endlessly curious hipster
Vegan dabbler (I try !)