Hola Bromigos and Bromigas, Idriss here, coming to you with another delicious money saver with an exotic name. You guessed it, or in this case read it, it’s my vegan quesadillas recipe.
Quesadillas are essentially tortillas with cheese and some kind protein. The tortilla and cheese parts are kind of central to the equation. So how do you make a vegan quesadilla then?
Well the obvious answer would be: get some of that expensive vegan cheese. It melts! It says so on the package, so it must be true. Right?
The BrokeFoodies answer is : Vegan Queso (A.K.A Vegan Cheese sauce). Cheap, easy and guaranteed to make you happy. I like this option for another reason though, it makes my quesadillas very cheesy without feeling too heavy. You know the type of heavy I’m talking about.
The knock you out for a couple of hours type of heavy. The “it’s nap time” type of heavy.
This quesadilla is more like: ‘Hey, I’m delicious, and fit’. Catch my drift? What I mean is, you can eat this and still do homework.
Let’s get something out of the way right now. This is not cheese. It’s has a very similar texture, it tastes kind of cheesy, like a melted old cheddar, but it has a different feel. Which does not mean that it’s inferior to cheese, it just means it’s got it’s own thing going on. For this type of dish, it’s just perfect.
You can also you use this for mac and cheese, as I did, it’s a terrific way to cut on bad calories and costs, cheese is expensive mate! Not to mention that it’s loaded with nutrients thanks to all the good stuff we put in to make it taste cheezy.
I was honestly very surprised with how good these quesadillas turned out. The filling was fresh, crispy and with just the right amount cheesy. Plus, I found this great way to make super easy vegan tortillas that completely blew my mind.
It only took me about 4 years of consistently being disappointed in my tortillas. No big deal.
Hope you enjoyed the post. For loads of more great content, please subscribe to our newsletter and never miss a recipe again. If you like this, please share and let us know what you think.
Vegan Quesadillas with Kale and Artichokes
- ¼ Cup of nutritional yeast
- ½ Tsp turmeric
- 1 Large Sweet Potato
- 1 Clove of garlic finely chopped.
- 2 Tbsp of melted vegan butter I used Earth Balance
- 1 Tbsp of corn startch
- 2 Cups of unsweetened almond milk
- Pinch of cayenne
- 1 Tsp of Dijon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Cup of kale leaves. Stems removed and roughly chopped.
- 1 454 g pack of extra firm tofu cut into cubes or sticks or any other shape you like.
- 1 15 oz Cup of canned artichoke hearts. Drain and cut your artichokes in 3 pieces.
- 4 Large Tortillas.
- 1 Tbsp of oil.
- Salt and pepper.
- Start by warming a pan on medium high, and add your oil. Sear your tofu until all the sides become crispy. Season and put aside.
- Peel your sweet potato and cut it into cubes. Boil your potatoes until soft.
- Place your potatoes in a blender with the rest of all the ingredients for the cheese sauce. The consistency of the sauce should be runny. Move your sauce into a pan and warm it on medium heat while whisking consistently. Do not stop whisking. Your sauce should thicken up in 3-4 minutes. It’s important that you do not overcook your sauce as it will become too thick.
- Warm up a big pan on medium heat and place one tortilla on it. On one side of your tortilla, place some tofu, chopped kale, chopped artichokes and some of your vegan cheese sauce. Fold over the other half of your tortilla and flip your quesadillas.
- Continue flipping and checking your quesadillas until they get nice and toasty.
- Cut in half and serve.
Endlessly curious hipster
Vegan dabbler (I try !)