Hey there awesome foodies, hope you all are doing super well. You knew this one was coming right? The customary ginger snap cookies right after the first snow fall. That’s how you know that it’s time to put on your ugly ass Christmas reindeer sweaters, I have one too, and put on a big smile on your face and start making all the foods that make you forget that the days are short, the nights are long, and it’s cold outside. Here is your silver lining though, you can make awesome looking and tasting vegan ginger snaps.
There is a wisdom hiding behind the ugly ass Christmas sweater, and that is that we don’t need no beach bodies no mo. We want to eat cookies and wear sweatpants. And the sweater, well it’s just the perfect accomplice to a delicious crime.
It’s not like the Starbucks ginger snap
My fiancee Léa has been talking to me about this ginger snap that she used to have when she was working at Starbucks in her young and innocent years. She kept on repeating that it’s the best ever and that we need to recreate that ginger snap at home.
Here is the thing though, I didn’t want to make a processed, full of I don’t know what ginger snap cookie, just to get the same result. Léa is vegan, and 90% of the time, I am too. Therefore, if I am baking for the both of, as always do, it has to be vegan.
That means no eggs and no butter.
You’ll be happy to know that it’s not a big a deal. Not even a little deal. Actually not even a deal. It’s a trade up. You dump the butter and eggs for ingredients that do the exact same job, provide you with better nutritional value and cost you less.
Talk about a no brainer.
Once Léa took that first bite of the cookie, she said: ‘This is not like starbucks ginger snap. This is way better’
Keep it simple
Here is the secret to a fantastic vegan ginger snap cookie. You have to use candied ginger, not ginger powder. I know a lot of recipes out there call for ginger powder a lot of other spices, and in my opinion, that doesn’t produce the best ginger snap cookie.
For your fats, you are going to be using either coconut oil or vegan butter, and for your sugars you’re going to use organic coconut sugar. It’s perfect for this.
Molasses will give you that signature colour you want in a ginger snap, not to mention the incredible taste it gives it.
For spices, I only use cinnamon. I find that adding too many spices overwhelms the presence of the candied ginger, while cinnamon gives it a nice lift.
To snap or not to snap, that is your decision:
I love chewy cookies; I will almost never choose a crispy, snappy type of cookie over a chewy one. That’s just not my style ya know?
However, if you are a snap enthusiast, all you need to know is:
Chewy: Bake for 10 minutes on 375, and when it’s ready, let it sit on the pan for 2 minutes then move to a cooling rack using a spatula.
Snappy: Bake for 12-14 minutes, and when ready, just take it out and let cool on the pan.
This is a cool cookie. Pun intended.
Hope you will give it a try, and if you like what we do here, please sign up for our newsletter so you won’t miss a recipe!
- ½ cup vegan butter (room temp)
- ¼ cup chopped candied ginger
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- 1 flax egg
- 1 tbsp molasses
- 1 cup of flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- Cream the butter with the sugar.
- Add the rest of your wet ingredients and mix.
- Mix your dry ingredients together and add them to your wet ingredients.
- Mix very slowly to not make a mess.
- Once your cookie dough forms, cover it and refrigerate it for an hour.
- Pre-heat your oven at 375.
- Using an ice cream scoop, take some of your cookie dough and roll it into balls.
- roll your cookies in your cinnamon and sugar mixture.
- Place your cookies on a cookie tray (covered with parchemin paper)
- Press lightly, to make sure that your cookie are flat when they come out. Check photo above.
- Bake for 10 minutes if you want chewy, or 12-14 minutes if you want crispy.
- Your cookies should be soft to the touch.
- Let them cool for 2 minutes, then using a metal spatula, carefully move them to a cooling rack.
- Let them cool completely and enjoy !
You like what you read ? Pin this and make it later !