What do you do when you have some coconut cream and spices staring at you? It’s cold outside and your soul is calling for a warm hug to lift it up from the cold of winter. I’ll tell you what you do; you make this vegan butter chicken with some flat bread and just call it a day.
Your soul will thank me.
Butter Chicken is a dish that is very dear to my heart. The first time I have ever stepped into an Indian restaurant was in Montreal; I was very reluctant to do it, but one of my friends insisted on me trying the cuisine. So I did. He said : ‘why don’t you try butter chicken, I don’t know of anybody who does not like this dish’
Smart move. You see, when you want somebody to try a new cuisine, you always try to find a dish that is less on the exotic side and more on the familiar one. You get me bro? Sis? Son? Whatever applies to you?…
I was seriously in love. Soft cubes of chicken swimming in a sea of cream, butter and a perfect blend of spices? Glorious.
Vegan me this:
Here is the thing though, butter chicken is heavy. It’ll put a bear to sleep. With Lea being vegan, and me following her 90% of the time on it, I have decided to make this dish vegan. Mostly because I like the challenge of veganising my favourite dishes but also because Lea has been missing her old comfort foods. Whether it is Jamaican patties, chocolate cakes or whatever a Lea is eventually going to miss.
As I was turning our favourite comfort foods vegan, I discovered this: you can make any favourite dish of yours vegan, and given time that replacement that was initially perceived as a compromise becomes the thing that you crave the most.
There lies the beauty of being the omnivore specie that we are.
I know there are a hundred recipes out there calling for the use of cashews and all sorts of fancy ingredients to make the creamy sauce. I prefer using coconut cream.
With all the spices and seeds you will use in this dish, that freshness from the coconut cream is very welcome.
And the chicken, well that was the easy the part
Big soft cubes of tofu. This is actually better that chicken, especially in this dish. It stays moist and absorbs all the flavours from that awesome spiced up cream.
If you never have made Indian food at home then this is your gateway to an amazing culinary world.
Or even if you never made any food before. It’s that easy to make.
The result is this easy, comforting, healthy and super flavourful dish that’ll blow your friends away. But why take my word for it? Take 20 minutes of your day to make it and taste for yourself.
If you like what we do, why don’t you subscribe to our newsletter to support us and help us grow.
Do you like this ? Pin this image and share it with your friends.
- A medium-large onion finely chopped.
- 1 15oz can of coconut cream.
- 1 15oz can of chickpeas.
- A handful of fresh parsley.
- 1.5 Tomato paste.
- 1 tsp of mango chutney.
- 1 454g pack of extra firm tofu
- Some canola oil to cook.
- ½ tsp of coriander seeds.
- 1 tsp mustard seeds.
- ½ tsp cumin seeds.
- 3 cardamom pods.
- ¼ ground cloves.
- ½ tsp of turmeric.
- ½ tsp of cayenne powder.
- 1 tbsp of paprika.
- salt and pepper to taste.
- In a deep sauce pan, or pot, warm up about a tsp of canola oil.
- Add your seeds, and warm them up until they start sizzling.
- Add your chopped onion and cook until they become a little transparent.
- Now add your coconut cream, tomato paste, chutney and chickpeas and stir. Add the rest of your spices and stir.
- Cook for about 10 minutes or until the sauce thickens and add Tofu. And cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to your taste.
- Using your hands break the fresh coriander and garnish.
- Serve warm with some flat bread and enjoy.
Cost per portion: 1.67$ CAD
The cost of my recipes is based on the average cost of ingredients I use. It's mostly provided as a guideline for you to understand the true savings you can make when you choose to cook at home.
Endlessly curious hipster
Vegan dabbler (I try !)
Latest posts by Idriss (see all)
- Sugar Free Tomato Sauce Recipe – KETO Friendly - October 12, 2017
- Soft & Chewy Vegan Apple Butter Cookie Recipe - September 25, 2017
- Flavor Charged Sweet Potato & Cream Cheese Ravioli - September 22, 2017