Basil, Parmigiano, olive oil, pine nuts and you have pesto. That’s your good old stuff. All you have to do is get the best ingredients money can buy and make yourself a fantastic pasta sauce. That is until you discover how to make the best vegan basil pesto !
And 39.99 $/lb for pine nuts ? That’s just where you lost me.
Back story :
Idriss, at home, staring at a bunch of basil, his mind wondering : How am I to make pesto, without using cheese ?
Vegan basil pesto !
Now I’m gonna be honest with you, I just didn’t wanna get out of my PJs on a Sunday just to get some parmesan. So I thought hey, I’ll make it vegan, it might just work.
Guess what ? It did.
Not only that it turned out just like pesto, it was more flavorful and the basil freshness stood out a lot more. And that is why I only make this one now.
Here are my 3 favourite reasons to choose vegan basil pesto :
- It is vegan ! duh … Which means there is no saturated fat in here which makes much better for your heart.
- Instead of parmesan, I used nutritional yeast and turmeric. These are two amazing super foods that gives a nice nutty cheesy taste and pack lots of vitamins, fiber, minerals, and protein.
- The fact that parmesan is absent here makes the basil stand out a lot more.
Just look at that gorgeous color. You can add this to your pasta, on top of your bread or in your favourite sandwich. It’s a real healthy treat.
Do you like this vegan basil pesto ? Pin this and make it later !
Don’t be afraid to put your own spin on this vegan basil pesto and of course share it with us. I would love to see what you guys and gals make.
In the meantime, don’t forget to be awesome.
Basil Vegan Pesto
- 1 bunch of basil you can leave the stems.
- Juice and zest of half a lemon.
- 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil.
- 1 Tbsp or 2 if you want of nutritional yeast.
- 1/2 Tsp of turmeric.
- 1 Tbsp of cashew butter.
I use cashew butter because it has a creamy texture and a very subtle taste. You can try a different nut butter, but just remember that if the taste is strong, it will overwhelm your pesto.
- Salt to taste.
- In a blender or food processor, throw in your basil, lemon juice and zest and your olive oil. Blend.
- Now add your nutritional yeast, turmeric, salt and cashew butter and blend.
- You should end up now with a thick creamy sauce as shown in the picture.
- Taste and add salt if you need to.
- Done !
If you find that it doesn't taste cheesy enough for you, just add another Tbsp of nutritional yeast and 1/2 tsp of turmeric.
Endlessly curious hipster
Vegan dabbler (I try !)