What do you do when it’s apple season and apples are abundant anywhere you shop? Sure, you can make apple pie – and trust me – we will. Or you can make apple sauce. But what’s even better than apple sauce? Apple butter. Yes, today I will share with you Léa’s recipe for a paleo apple butter.
Before you ask… No, this does not have any butter. Only apples, a few spices, and time. That’s right, it’s totally vegan.
This just looks like Fall, doesn’t it ?
Just try to taste using your mind and imagine this with me for a second: caramelized apples – cinnamon – nutmeg – coconut sugar – and all-spice. All these ingredients make a apple spreadable deliciousness. To Hell with refined sugar! We don’t need it.
Are you there ? Can you taste it ? Let me help you along a little more… Imagine spreading an apple pie tasting “butter” on your favorite toasted bread or a warm croissant. Here is a visual to help you understand what I am trying to tell you, here.
Do we understand each other now ? Are we on the same page ? This is just like spreading apple pie without all the carbs, the fats or the sugar. The title really says it all (except for vegan) : easy, paleo apple butter. Need I say more ?
If you have a crock pot (And you probably do, they are so convenient), you can just sit back and let it do all the work for you. Seriously, you won’t have to do a thing. Except give it a stir every now and then. And enjoy the smell in your house…
Once it’s ready, you will be so happy and proud that you made this. I know I was. I was happier to eat it though… True story.
You like this Paleo Apple butter ? Pin it and make it later !
I sincerely hope that you will give this a try, even if you do not have a crock pot (I will leave instructions on how to cook it on your stove top). Do give it a go, and let me know how it went for you.
- 6 Cups of organic apple sauce. Preferably unsweetened.
- ½ Cup of raw organic honey.
- 2 sticks of cinnamon.
- ¼ Tsp of Nutmeg.
- ¼ Tsp of salt.
- ½ Tsp of all-spice.
- Place all our ingredients (except for cinnamon sticks) in the crock pot.
- Throw in your cinnamon sticks once everything is mixed and turn on the heat to high for 20 minutes.
- Decrease the heat to low and cook for 9 to 10 hours or until very thick and dark consistency is reached. Stir occasionally.
- Remove the lid, and cook for an additional hour.
- If desired, you can use a hand blender and whisk to make it very smooth and glossy. I omitted this step since I like my apple butter a bit more gritty.
Endlessly curious hipster
Vegan dabbler (I try !)
Latest posts by Idriss (see all)
- Sugar Free Tomato Sauce Recipe – KETO Friendly - October 12, 2017
- Soft & Chewy Vegan Apple Butter Cookie Recipe - September 25, 2017
- Flavor Charged Sweet Potato & Cream Cheese Ravioli - September 22, 2017