Remember the good old brownie ? Remember having it with your coffee ? I present you with the best of both worlds : espresso and brownies. Mocha Brownies. Not my invention of course, who invents food anyway ? However, as usual, I have my own twist on this classic, so keep reading !
So I was in Bulk Barn with Léa and I found two of the most amazing things : Raw cacao powder and extra dark sugar-free chocolate. It doesn’t take a genius to know what’s next … Just a true glutton.
I got so excited to see those two ingredients that I had to go for it and make the healthiest brownies I have ever made. And it wasn’t that hard when you see the kind of stats those ingredients were packing :
- 100g Unsweetened dark chocolate : 14g of fiber, 90% of your daily recommended intake (D.R.I from now on, I don’t wanna write this thing again) of Iron and 11g of Protein
- 100g Raw Cacao powder : 25g of fiber, 460% DRI of Iron !!! and more and more and more.
These are just the one that caught my attention. The cacao bean is arguably the most nutrient dense bean in the world, so yeah don’t get milk chocolate. That’s just sacrilege.
Then I told myself, why don’t I pair these ingredients with the most awesome stuff I have in my pantry and see what that would give me. Sort of like an All-Star team. The result was shocking, even to me. I mean I used whole wheat flour and only half a cup of coconut sugar and it was the best brownie I have ever had. Léa took some to work with her and even her picky coworker was all over them.
I wish I could take all the credit. The only recognition I get is for arranging a meeting between all of these awesome ingredients.
It turns out, real food tastes good on its own. Who knew ?!
You like what you read ? Pin this and make it later !
To make everything just tops, I added 2 tbsp of instant espresso to the mix, a bunch of pecans and a few moments later I enjoyed a delicious brownie. I found my way to do it, I encourage you to try it. But you know what I really want you to do ? I want you to make your own favorite and tell me all about it ! Put your own twist on it baby. That’s what it’s all about
I found my way to do it, I encourage you to try it.
src=”http://www.brokefoodies.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Brownie4.jpg” alt=”Remember the good old brownie ? Remember having it with your coffee ? I present you with the best of both worlds : espresso and brownies. Mocha Brownies.” width=”680″ height=”1020″>
But you know what I really want you to do ? I want you to make your own favorite and tell me all about it ! Put your own twist on it baby. That’s what it’s all about.
My favourite Mocha Brownies
- 1/2 Cup of unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp of dark cocoa powder.
- 1 pinch of salt.
- 1 Cup white sugar
- 2 Free range organic eggs. (Vegan) Sub for 2 Flax eggs.
- 100 g of extra dark chocolate. At least 75%. (Vegan) Make sure the chocolate you are using does not contain dairy
- 3/4 Cup of butter. (Vegan) Sub for vegan butter. Earth Balance works great!
- 2 tbsp of instant espresso.
- 1/2 Cup of Pecans
Preheat your oven at 375 F.
Place your butter and chocolate in a heatproof glass bowl and melt over a gently simmering water bath.
Put your dry ingredients in a separate bowl and mix them together.
Once your chocolate and butter are melted and silky, add your sugar to cool down the mixture. Now add your eggs (or flax eggs) into the mixture and whisk the mixture thoroughly. It's recommended to use an electric hand mixer for this step.
Slowly incorporate your dry ingredients. Mix very well in order to avoid having any lumps, then add your chocolate chips and your pecans and mix it all together.
- Line up your brownie pan with some parchment paper and pour in your mixture.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until done. If you want to make sure that it is done use tooth pick. If it comes out clean then your are good to go.
Endlessly curious hipster
Vegan dabbler (I try !)