Hey there awesome people! Idriss here, coming to you from beautiful Montreal with another banging recipe that’ll knock your socks off. This one comes straight from my childhood, with a little twist, as usual. That’s right, today is the day you stuff your face with fluffy chocolate filled buns.
It’s la brioche, yes. You know brioche, yes? #americandad
My mom, the creator of this recipe, calls them brioches not buns. They are totally not though. Brioches are much lighter with a texture that resembles that of a fluffy buttery bread. These are fluffy, soft and look like a brioche, however they are more on the rich and decadent kind of side.
You can fill them with pretty much anything your heart desires, from chocolate to cream cheese to crème anglaise, heck you can even make them plain like my mom used to.
That’s right she used to make these buns plain and serve them with some cream cheese and jam on the side. So, all you have to do is slice them open and spread them with whatever you fancy and you are in for a treat.
Chocolate filled buns:
Let me tell you this, cutting these things open and seeing that chocolate ooze out of them is one of the coolest thing ever.
On the outside you get this nice, firm and perfectly brown bun and on the inside, you have this soft and chocolatey texture.
Take a look and tell me how you feel
Excited to try them? I thought so.
Honest advice: As happy as you are going to be when you take these buns out of the oven, do not cut them right away. They will crumble and completely fall apart in your hands. Let them chill man, they need to blow off some steam. Pun intended.
Hope you enjoyed this post, if you like what we do please subscribe to our newsletter to make sure you don’t ever miss a recipe. Also, don’t forget to help our blog grow by spreading the love through your favorite social media.
- 2 free range eggs.
- 50g of butter at room temp. Use organic grass-fed if you can.
- 250g of unbleached white flour.
- 1 Tsp of pure vanilla extract.
- 50g of coconut sugar. You can sub with light brown sugar or even white sugar.
- About one cup of chocolate chips or chunks.
- 1 Tbsp of water.
- 100ml of milk (or unsweetened almond milk) Luke warm.
- 1 packet of yeast or 2 ¼ tsp.
- Start by proofing your yeast. Put yeast and milk together and set them aside until your mixture foams up.
- In a stand mixer bowl, add sugar, flour and 1 egg. Add your proofed yeast, water, vanilla and soft butter.
- Attach your dough hook and mix on low speed for 3 minutes then on high speed for 5 minutes.
- Take your dough out (It should be a little sticky, but very firm and spongy)
- Ball up your dough and place in a bowl. Let it rise somewhere warm for about 30 minutes or until it doubles in size.
- Take your dough and cut it into 8 equal pieces. Take one piece of dough, flatten to about ½ inch thick, place on the palm of your hand and put 3-4 pieces of chocolate in the middle of it. Fold the sides of the dough in to make a ball and place in a lightly oiled pie dish, or lasagna dish.
- Repeat for the rest of the dough.
- Cover your pie dish and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven at 375.
- Before you bake, break that second egg and beat it. Brush your buns with the egg wash.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Take out of the oven and let completely cool before you serve. SUPER IMPORTANT.
Endlessly curious hipster
Vegan dabbler (I try !)