This is it folks, and folksettes (I don’t know, ok?!) today is the day your minds are going to get blown. Better yet, blasted! Because today is the day that classic almond butter becomes irrelevant, boring, plain, basic … Obsolete. Today is the day you get to know about the famous Amlou (pronounced ahm-loo) which is a sweet Moroccan almond butter made with argan oil and raw honey.
Argan oil isn’t just good for your hair, your face and your skin… In Morocco, its birth place and only home its magnificence, it is a pantry staple. You cook with it, you dip bread in it and in our case, you put it in almond butter.
Traditionally, Moroccan women would make the almond butter in a stone mill. The same mill they would use to process the Argan fruit into oil. It’s quite a process, and it is beautiful to behold.
I love Argan oil for 2 big reasons. The first one is pretty obvious, is frigging delicious. It has this nutty, deep and rich taste that I don’t find any other oil. Which is why it works so perfectly with almond butter.
The other reason is even more obvious today, the amazing health benefits of Argan oil. One of them is healing sunburns. Which makes this oil so dear to me because it reminds me of my childhood, on the Moroccan beaches, playing soccer, swimming and burning my skin off. Luckily, I have a mom that is very remedy-savvy and that used Argan oil to heal my burns. Instant relief.
Let’s talk about this magic Moroccan almond butter. There are some differences between this and your classic almond butter. First one is in the taste. Amlou tastes very sweet and rich. Because of the Argan oil and raw honey, it has this distinct taste that is very intense and rich and also very sweet and floral depending on the type of honey you use of course, I suggest something light to balance the flavour.
The second difference is in the texture. Amlou’s texture is closer to one of Nutella. It’s very creamy and smooth, and much easier to spread. Which is delightful. No longer will you find yourself breaking your toast just because the almond butter got too hard.
That’s what she said.
I have been watching The Office too much.
So let’s recap here, with this Moroccan Almond Butter Here is what you get:
- Creaminess glossy texture
- Rich intense flavours
- Easily spreadable
- Perfectly balanced
- All the health benefits of Argan oil, honey and almonds.
Super Food: brought to you by Morocco.
If you need a step by step guide on how to make nut butter, you can always check out my peanut butter blog post.
Do you like what we do here? Please leave us a comment and subscribe to our newsletter to help us grow our small blog.
PIN! PIN! PIN!
- 3 Cups of Raw Almonds
- ¾ Cups of Raw Honey
- ¾ Cups of Pure Organic unrefined Argan Oil
- A Sprinkle of sea salt
- Toast your almonds in the oven for 7-8 minutes at 350 F.
- Take them out and let them sit for 1-2 minutes
- Transfer to a food processor and grind until it turns into almond butter. This should take between 8-10 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl.
- Add your oil and honey gradually and mix using a spatula until well combined.
- Add a dash of salt and taste, you can add more honey if you want it to be more sweet.
Endlessly curious hipster
Vegan dabbler (I try !)
Latest posts by Idriss (see all)
- Sugar Free Tomato Sauce Recipe – KETO Friendly - October 12, 2017
- Soft & Chewy Vegan Apple Butter Cookie Recipe - September 25, 2017
- Flavor Charged Sweet Potato & Cream Cheese Ravioli - September 22, 2017