Can you guess when the last time I bought mayonnaise was? It must have been at least a year ago if not more, and only because I did not know how easy it was to make my own. This is a 5 ingredient mayonnaise that will simply blow your mind.
I can tell you this : as soon as I learned how to make it, I never looked back. Simple because I have always loved the taste of homemade mayo, and was lucky enough to have a mom that would whip it up whenever needed. I always had it fresh as a child, and since I’ve moved out on my own I had been missing it
Missing it pushed me to remember back to when my mom would make it, and narrowed down a recipe to bring you a 5 minute, 5 ingredient mayonnaise
I remembered that once, as a kid, I was with my mom in the kitchen (probably stealing some fries while I thought she wasn’t looking) and she opened the fridge and realized there was no more mayo. Believe it or not, I started to stress. I loveeeee fries with mayo (ketchup can go be sad in a corner… Like I was about to be). But mama saved the day. She quickly scanned the contents of the fridge, shrugged and said : “I have 5 minutes, I can make it”.
Okay, maybe not exactly like that… However, I am sure that she said 5 minutes.
Yup, that’s all the time it took her to make it, and it was completely stress free. So why wouldn’t we make it ourselves too ? Seeing how easy it is, 5 mins, 5 ingredients, it doesn’t get any easier than that.
And this way, you actually know what is in what you’re eating. Condiment ingredient lists can be scary sometimes #health-conscious
I don’t know about you, but I like my mayo to be light in texture, this way if I wanna jazz it up later, (by either making it spicy or by giving a little Italian spin) the consistency always stays perfect
Creating something that is your own twist every time.
Isn’t that, after all, what food is all about ?
Once you learn how to make this basic sauce, you can really take it any direction you want. That’s the beauty of it. And fret not, if you like yours thicker, ain’t no problem here. If you like yours spicy, go for gold, ponyboy
You like what you read ? Pin this and make it later !
- 1 large free range egg yolk
- 1½ teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¾ cup grape seed oil
- Salt to taste
- In a bowl, combine egg yolk and Dijon.
- Now, the important part, add very very slowly your oil while whisking. Do NOT stop whisking ! ... Seriously. If you do you're taking the risk of your yolk splitting from the oil and you becoming really sad.
- As soon as the mix becomes more consistent you can pick up the speed and add your oil faster.
- Once you reach a thick consistency (If you are able to lift the mayo with your whisk, then you've done a good job !) add your lemon juice and salt. The mayo will get whiter and fresher because of the lemons.
- Note :
- You can definitely add vinegar in here if you want. I like it better without.
Did you like the recipe ? Don’t hesitate to leave a comment and share it with your friends !
Endlessly curious hipster
Vegan dabbler (I try !)